Why become a member? ×

Need advice for a new head

bassically_speaking

Hello,

My first post on this forum!

I need advice please on which head to go for; I've been looking at Ashdown LG's but they've been getting mixed reviews here. I want to look at a few others now. I recently bought a Fender American Standard Precision and SERIOUSLY need a new amp to do it justice.

My requirements are:

- at least 300 watts
- something considered small/lightweight/portable
- something that can give me a vintage kinda thump, James Jamerson, Paul McCartney
- a headphone jack would be nice to keep the girlfriend happy

Thanks a lot for the help, hope I've done everything right here haven't used a forum before.

Cheers

Prior to my current amp set-up, I had the Marshall MB450 Head - with MIA Precision - and it def gave a good warm vintage sound on the Classic Channel, especially thru a cab without tweeters. Some love the Marshall MBs, others don`t, citing reliability issues, but I`ve had three different models of the MB range, no problems with any of them. That said however, there`s serious love for Hartke LH500 on here, may be worth checking out.

Hey thanks for the advice... sorry I forgot to specify the budget. I'm not 100% sure since I'm not getting it for another month or so, but probably £500 max for the head.

Thanks for raising the cab issue, I don't have one yet was gonna decide in relation to the head I end up getting. Prefer 1x15 though.

Funny about the orange amps suggested 'cos I have the tiny terror guitar head! I have to say it is a very sweet, vintage amp, but would I be a loser to have another tiny terror in the apartment for the bass?? Maybe it's worth it!

cheers

[quote name='yorick' post='949335' date='Sep 8 2010, 12:22 PM']Orange Terror Bass :)

Light weight, 500w, valve preamp, 4 or 8 ohm switch..... Simple eq. Doesn't have the headphone socket though... just play quieter!!! Old school thump to the max[/quote]

+1 get the terror.. works great with them.. just use the DI out into a mini mixer (new £50), the you can also plug your CD player/computer in the mixer for practicing as well. Very Girlfriend Friendly!!

I actually use my tascam audio interface.. if you have one use that

[quote name='bassically_speaking' post='949720' date='Sep 8 2010, 06:25 PM']Hey thanks for the advice... sorry I forgot to specify the budget. I'm not 100% sure since I'm not getting it for another month or so, but probably £500 max for the head.

Thanks for raising the cab issue, I don't have one yet was gonna decide in relation to the head I end up getting. Prefer 1x15 though.

Funny about the orange amps suggested 'cos I have the tiny terror guitar head! I have to say it is a very sweet, vintage amp, but would I be a loser to have another tiny terror in the apartment for the bass?? Maybe it's worth it!

cheers[/quote]

It's not the tiny terror it's the terror bass :-)

if you already like orange.. do it..

I recently gave my terror a good rocking out on a gig with another guitarist who uses orange and he loved it, so it makes sense..

and it's less than £500 (£460). Just don't forget to buy the In-Line Attenuators for the hot DI if you use it, only £8 or so from studiospares

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='949753' date='Sep 8 2010, 07:01 PM']reckon you'll want that Bassman 135 head that's for sale right here now for less than £400
the back pain will be worth it.

and a 1x15 cab

as per what you see to the left now.
goes amazing with a P Bass.[/quote]

back pain? they're not that heavy

Thanks for the advice, Bassnut if you're still selling in a month or so I'll get back to you on that Bassman amp, can't afford just yet.

I do like the sound of the terror bass, haven't seen it in any music shops around here to try out, might have to travel a bit.

thanks for the advice, never thought of DI'ing to enable headphone use! cheers