Why become a member? ×

All sorted thanks!!

michael-faces

I just received my Pearce BC1 amp, plugged it in, played for about 30 seconds and... poof! Theres smoke, and a god awful smell, coming out of the Pearce and an angry 16 year old storming and swearing around the bedroom (me :) ). I really have no idea what I've done, and I'm not sure if its my fault or the amps. I do know, however, that one of the capacitors has popped and a load of liquid went onto the inside roof of the amp and I think the next capacitor is going the same way.

Does anyone know what happened here? And also how much it will cost to fix? I'm going to my local luthier tomorrow.

Edited by michael-faces

[quote name='michael-faces' post='947486' date='Sep 6 2010, 06:36 PM']I just received my Pearce BC1 amp, plugged it in, played for about 30 seconds and... poof! Theres smoke, and a god awful smell, coming out of the Pearce and an angry 16 year old storming and swearing around the bedroom (me :) ). I really have no idea what I've done, and I'm not sure if its my fault or the amps. I do know, however, that one of the capacitors has popped and a load of liquid went onto the inside roof of the amp and I think the next capacitor is going the same way.

Does anyone know what happened here? And also how much it will cost to fix? I'm going to my local luthier tomorrow.[/quote]

no, I don't know what happened but I might have a suspicion that this was faulty when sold. Have a look at the fuse that blew and see what it is rated at and what it should be rated at. I think.. I may be wrong, that that fuse is a higher rate than it should be which is why it blew slowly...???

I assume it was set up for UK voltage and not U.S..just a guess here, as well.

I would want to return it, but I doubt that will get too far..so I'd take it to a top amp repairer who can diagnose these things..
It seems like what ever is wrong has worked its way down the chain somewhat and you need someone who can understand and dicipher the internals. I think I might know someone but it depends where you are.

This saga leaves a bad taste in my mouth on the face of it...sorry to say.

[quote name='michael-faces' post='947486' date='Sep 6 2010, 06:36 PM']I just received my Pearce BC1 amp, plugged it in, played for about 30 seconds and... poof! Theres smoke, and a god awful smell, coming out of the Pearce and an angry 16 year old storming and swearing around the bedroom (me :) ). I really have no idea what I've done, and I'm not sure if its my fault or the amps. I do know, however, that one of the capacitors has popped and a load of liquid went onto the inside roof of the amp and I think the next capacitor is going the same way.

Does anyone know what happened here? And also how much it will cost to fix? I'm going to my local luthier tomorrow.[/quote]

Where and how did you buy it, and how did you pay for it.
If its through e bay, and you paid with pay pal you should first let the seller know there is a problem. Dont spend any money yet but get an estimate and pass that through to the seller

You have some protection if it was paid through paypal, or with a credit card. If you bought it from a retailer, take it back and ask for their comments

[quote name='gafbass02' post='947994' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:38 AM']Saga? Have a missed a saga? What's a Pearce anyway? Sorry to hear it's died.[/quote]

Made famous by the likes of Billy Sheehan as a cracking 'distortion' preamp. There's a guitar version too. The BC-1 had a Sheehan mod for extra gain - and I think he still uses them now.

[quote]I assume it was set up for UK voltage and not U.S..just a guess here, as well.[/quote]

Ahh man! How did I miss something so simple? I've never even heard of the voltage change or whatever. Oh well, I guess we learn from our mistakes. I'll be hearing from my local luthier tomorrow, hopefully it shouldn't be too much to fix. Thanks for all your help!

[quote name='michael-faces' post='948672' date='Sep 7 2010, 07:27 PM']Ahh man! How did I miss something so simple? I've never even heard of the voltage change or whatever. Oh well, I guess we learn from our mistakes. I'll be hearing from my local luthier tomorrow, hopefully it shouldn't be too much to fix. Thanks for all your help![/quote]

You wouldn't happen to have bought the BC-1 that was advertised on TalkBass would you?

Nah, mine was cheaper :) including postage and everything. Or it was before I do this repair. I bought mine from craiglists (bit risky, but I did know the guy from ebay with a perfect seller rating). By the way, any idea how much this might cost to repair? Dood, you're beginning to look like a bit of an expert on the amp front to me!

[quote name='michael-faces' post='948818' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:08 PM']Nah, mine was cheaper :) including postage and everything. Or it was before I do this repair. I bought mine from craiglists (bit risky, but I did know the guy from ebay with a perfect seller rating). By the way, any idea how much this might cost to repair? Dood, you're beginning to look like a bit of an expert on the amp front to me![/quote]
depends on what you've fried, if the PT is fine i shouldn't expect it to be a to hefty bill.

[quote name='michael-faces' post='948818' date='Sep 7 2010, 09:08 PM']Nah, mine was cheaper :) including postage and everything. Or it was before I do this repair. I bought mine from craiglists (bit risky, but I did know the guy from ebay with a perfect seller rating). By the way, any idea how much this might cost to repair? Dood, you're beginning to look like a bit of an expert on the amp front to me![/quote]

Ahh! Ok, gotcha - it was just after our strangely coincidental conversation about preamps the other day - and having seen the BC-1 on TB!

Ok, you got me - I am actually fanatical and slightly rather geeky about all things Bass! It probably wouldn't be an understatement to say I have studied Bass for over 20 years lol!

[quote name='umph' post='948912' date='Sep 7 2010, 10:26 PM']depends on what you've fried, if the PT is fine i shouldn't expect it to be a to hefty bill.[/quote]

Yeah I agree - ball park figure including labour? Most reputable local repairers will probably charge about 30-50 quid.

[quote name='michael-faces' post='950186' date='Sep 9 2010, 07:34 AM']Yeah it was £38. Thanks again for all the help! I've learnt from this, but still feel so silly :) . All I had to do was flick a switch at the back and i'd be fine![/quote]

Ahhhhh mate! Well, I'm glad you are up and running again and that the additional cost has not dulled the experience. It's a bit of a rare preamp these days - so worth hanging on to!

[quote name='michael-faces' post='950186' date='Sep 9 2010, 07:34 AM']Yeah it was £38. Thanks again for all the help! I've learnt from this, but still feel so silly :) . All I had to do was flick a switch at the back and i'd be fine![/quote]

not a bad price, replacing the power caps is always a good thing to do in the long run anyway though so saved yourself some hastle there!