Why become a member? ×

Replacing original pick ups in a vintage jazz bass

Gunsfreddy2003

Going through a bit of a dilemma as to whether to change the pick ups in my 74 jazz bass or not. I have been given some advice that the stock p/ups were never that special and that by changing them for more modern ones will really let the bass sing.

Any opinions or advice would be gratefully received particularly by those that have gone down this route already. If you have changed them what did you go for and why?

Does changing the pickups de-value the bass at all?

Cheers

[quote name='neilb' post='946446' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:59 PM']If you do upgrade,keep the originals!!!![/quote]
Plus 1000!!!!!!!! You haven't actually said what's wrong with the current ones other than that somebody else has offered a general opinion on older pups. You can get really good vintage replacements by all the main brands like Seymour Duncan, Wizard etc. If you want a more modern sound, yes you can achieve that too but then is it the right bass for what you are after?

But in answer to your original question it won't be devalued if you keep the originals, assuming you are not rerouting stuff / changing the original configuration. My original 1970s P-bass is all stock. I have two late 70s basses which are not all original (one Wizard Trad and one Seymour Duncan SPB-1 as you asked). These were parts that I assembled to be complete basses so keeping the original pups was never going to be an option.

Edited by BurritoBass

Nothing wrong with p/ups in my opinion but just wondered if I was missing a trick by not looking at more modern options?

I have just changed my rig and used it last night for the first time and thought that the jazz sounded great through it!!

However I can see the logic that 36 years ago the pickups were just bulk standard issue and never really meant to be anything special - if you take the comparison to cars for example no-one would get excited about the engine put into a 1974 Austin Allegro if you know what I mean!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='946457' date='Sep 5 2010, 06:06 PM']Plus 1000!!!!!!!! You haven't actually said what's wrong with the current ones other than that somebody else has offered a general opinion on older pups. You can get really good vintage replacements by all the main brands like Seymour Duncan, Wizard etc. If you want a more modern sound, yes you can achieve that too but then is it the right bass for what you are after?

But in answer to your original question it won't be devalued if you keep the originals, assuming you are not rerouting stuff / changing the original configuration. My original 1970s P-bass is all stock. I have two late 70s basses which are not all original (one Wizard Trad and one Seymour Duncan SPB-1 as you asked). These were parts that I assembled to be complete basses so keeping the original pups was never going to be an option.[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' post='946442' date='Sep 5 2010, 05:57 PM']Going through a bit of a dilemma as to whether to change the pick ups in my 74 jazz bass or not. I have been given some advice that the stock p/ups were never that special and that by changing them for more modern ones will really let the bass sing.

Any opinions or advice would be gratefully received particularly by those that have gone down this route already. If you have changed them what did you go for and why?

Does changing the pickups de-value the bass at all?

Cheers[/quote]

I have a 72 Jazz that came with one original and one later 70s pup. They sounded ok but a little lifeless. I swapped them out for a set of Fender Custom Shop 60s which have brought it to life and still keep the vintage Fender vibe. Reason I went for these was that I didn't want to change the essential character of the bass, I just wanted to revitalise it which is exactly what the CS60s have done. Don't know if that helps or not!

My '71 was 100% original when I got it.. I think it had barely been opened up before.

But, the pickups just didn't have 'it', so I didn't think twice about cracking her open and putting some Fralin split-coils in. It sounds awesome, and I can put it back to %99.9999999999 originality whenever I need to.

• 4 weeks later...

depends on what you value the Bass at :) ... if you ever want to get top dolla for a 100% original guitar DO NOT touch it, dont even clean it :lol:

down the line the only people who will be prepared to pay you what you think its worth will probably be a collector and he will Xray every bit of it, and if he finds that the pickups or ANYTHING has been tampered with not only wont you get the price you want he wont want it full stop.... sad but true

im surprised WOT changed the pups on that '71, i would have bought a cheapo reissue, battered it up and put the pups on that

99.9999999% and it might as well be a refin :)

[quote name='slobluesine' post='974868' date='Oct 2 2010, 12:03 PM']im surprised WOT changed the pups on that '71, i would have bought a cheapo reissue, battered it up and put the pups on that[/quote]

Whey no, man. :-)

Great bass worth a few quid, but tired pickups? What's the point? Swap 'em out...

It's got Fralin split-coils in it now, and it's marvellous. And I've devalued it by next to nowt.

Besides, it needs a refret soon. THAT's where the fun begins...

I thought that real 'collectors' vintage basses were indeed prized for having original soldering. Why, other than it helping with authenticity, I have no idea. But perhaps that's more of an issue for 60s instruments.
Personally, if I thought it sounded great as is then I'd leave it, but if it had a decent acoustic tone that wasn't really being conveyed when plugged in then I'd have no qualms about swapping the pickups. Basses are great to play, but if I wanted an ornament then I'd prefer a nice Chinese ginger jar :)
If you do swap them out, maybe it'd be an idea to take some detailed photos of the original pups and soldering while in the bass to prove that the originals were at some point there.

a collector/dealer will spot the soldering on the pots, then the question is...

are the pups the original ones? EVEN if they've been put back your into explaining why you took them off in the first place, photos are a good idea

good idea to remove pups from vintage guitars at the pup end and not at the pots, REAL frig tho