Why become a member? ×

Warwick 6 String - What's it worth?

Rumple

Hello, I may get the chance to make an offer on a Warwick 6 string but all the info I have is that it's a thru-neck SN: B 041 89 and the picture supplied.

6 strings are one too many for me but if it's going for below average second hand prices I might give it a go!

[attachment=4207:W6.jpg]

I know nowt about Warwicks so any info and a rough idea as to how much it would sell for secondhand would be a great help.

Cheers R.

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='106707' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:13 PM']For what its worth I had a Thumb 5-string, and it was the worst bass for neck dive I've ever played. I sold it for that reason. Also I didn't think the MEC pickups and circuit were all that. Give the bass a try if you can - see what you think.[/quote]

Thanks Chop,

I'm not going to get to try it unfortunately as it too far away, ordinarily I wouldn't consider A Warwick or a six string but if it was up for sale at a good price I would consider trying it then selling or trading it if I didn't like it.

R.

[quote name='TimmyC' post='107618' date='Dec 21 2007, 01:14 PM']£1000 - £1200 I think

You have to be a brave man to spend 1k+ on a bass you havn't played or have a clue what it plays like IMHO of course![/quote]

Many thanks for your input, you are right about playing it first, I shall probably walk away from this beast unless I can get it for a bargain price that is!

I'd have said about £1k, depending on condition.

From the S/N, it's 1989, so it's likely to have a bit of battle damage by now.

Most of the Warwick Sixers escape the curse of MEC, as they don't do Pick-ups big enough. My Streamer LX has Duncans in it. The Thumb pictured hast Barts.
MEC EQs seem okay, but the pick-ups sound a bit sterile.
Not only will a Thumb dive, it'll jump off of your lap, too. The Sixes are probably even worse! I've only tried a five, and that was like a waxed lemming.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

I think your pricing in the present climate isn't unreasonable but the seller may well have paid big bucks for this so haggling down may be tricky but well worth a try. Oddly the 4 string Thumb basses appear to be holding their value better than the rest of the Warwick range, I never take much notice of the 5s and 6s so can't comment on them. I'd say that was a lot of bass for less than £1k so good luck.