Why become a member? ×

Fender Fretless - 12th "fret" dots

thepurpleblob

[quote name='wrinkleygit' post='942774' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:42 PM']I think it has been said before but the best advice for fretless is to use your ears & not your eyes, easier said than done to start with but perseverence is very rewarding when it finaly comes together, mike .[/quote]

Well that's it. By the time you get to the 12th fret, rocking your finger slightly makes a semitone of a difference. At the moment the higher up fret position dots are miles out which just makes it even more difficult than it is anyway.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='942736' date='Sep 1 2010, 10:04 PM']Fender fretless basses (and possibly others) have two dots to mark the 12th fret position. That's fine but the dots are half an inch apart. Which dot is the actual fret position?

My guess is it's right down the middle but I'm far from sure...[/quote]

If the bass has "fretlines" where the frets used to be, then the 12th/octave note should be on the 12th fretline itself.
If the bass has no fretlines, the 12th /octave note should be in line with the second of the two dots.

I always use the dot on the right. And it seems to be right. Right?

edit: but of course if you're left-handed it will be the dot on the left - ehm... like what he said above - the one nearest the bridge.

edit: or the one furthest from the headstock. It may be in the middle (I doubt it), but no way is it the other dot - that's just wrong and completely un-intonateable.

Edited by Starless

Ou7shined has already hinted at a way to find out - measure from the nut. Since the scale length is 34" (assuming it's not a short scale Fender) the distance from the nut to where the 12th fret should be is 17". If the Fender system is like my unlined fretless basses you should find that it's exactly between the 2 dots.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='944171' date='Sep 3 2010, 08:07 AM']Ou7shined has already hinted at a way to find out - measure from the nut. Since the scale length is 34" (assuming it's not a short scale Fender) the distance from the nut to where the 12th fret should be is 17". If the Fender system is like my unlined fretless basses you should find that it's exactly between the 2 dots.[/quote]

I'm sure you're right, but where is the point on the nut you measure from?? :)

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='944147' date='Sep 3 2010, 06:38 AM']Conclusion... nobody actually knows :) I can feel an email to Fender coming on.

I did the sensible thing and compared it very carefully with a fretted Precision. I'm inclined towards right down the middle but it's quite hard to tell. Some careful measurement would probably be the next thing...[/quote]

I measured 12th fret on my '90s Jap Jazz and compared it to the fretless and it's closer to the dot nearest to the bridge but not exactly on it as I originally thought.

Knowing Fender, you'll probably find they're all different and you'll have to use your ears.

My other non Fender fretlesses are exactly in between the dots.

Due to the taper of the neck, measuring the side of the fingerboard it should be a little more than 17" to the space between the dots from the inside edge of the nut. You'd want to measure down the middle of the fingerboard to 17" and then run a line perpendicular to the fingerboard edge.

I've always thought the right spot was between the dots. If some one tells you different look at their hands as they're probably robots. They never did get the hands quite right.