Why become a member? ×

Head or Cab?

clauster

The time has come that I've realised that I need to make a priority of getting a decent rig.

It's been nearly twenty years since I had a "respectable" rig and have used Peavey, Trace and Ashdown combos since - enough there that I can be heard at rehearsals and fine for taking a line out to the PA for gigs. This lat year and a bit I've been doing originals for the first time since the 80s, there's often not much in the way of PA support and now we're being offered bigger gigs my little Ashdown EB180-12 is struggling.

Part of me says get a cab in the next few weeks - something with more speakers will get a bit more SPL from the Ashdown immediately.

BUT I'm 90% certaing I want an Ashdown ABM head - I like the Ashdown "sound" from their preamps and I like the features the ABMs offer (7 band eq, comp, a valve in the input stage etc), plus the rackmounting chrome version is shiney :)

So a bit of me says, get the head first and then find the cab(s) to get the best out of it (I know I don't like Ashdown cabs).

I'd also quite like to get the head brand new (warranty, peace of mind that a monkey hasn't been tinkering etc), but I'll probably look second hand for the cabs (which means, get the head, sell the combo add a bit of cash and buy a cab).

Any thoughts?

Nic

getting the cab first makes alot more sense because having a head with no cabs is a bit useless if you have to wait a while until you can afford a cab.

I used this logic... but then fell more in love with the amp in my combo when using it with another combo so have decided to use it as an amp head (diy headcase). love it now and can use the old combo cab for extra volume if i need it.

To contradict the others I'd get the head. I take mine to rehearsals & in gig situations bands are happier sharing cabs rather than heads. At least that's my experience. I do think it's a buyers market right now & stuff isn't selling for what it was. Some amazingly good deals on cabs recently.

Wayne, you are as always a gent of the highest magnitude! I'll drop you a PM later (there was a couple of other things to let you know about, but I see J has already let you know about one via FB).

Everyone else - thanks you! Burritobass wins the "helping me see the wood for the trees award". I'll carry on saving for the head for now.

Ardi - your suggestion makes sense, but I haven't a clue which cab I want (just a long list of those I don't like) but I do know I like the preamps in Ashdown heads.

Cheers all!