Why become a member? ×

Bass home recording

lowlandtrees

Hi
Looking for some advice. I am about to buy a bass. I don't play live and due to noise restrictions I record directly into my PC based audio interface (focusrite pro 40). I don't care if the instrument looks like my uncle Deaks' dog, all I need is a good sound. I am actually a guitar/sax player (don't they make theee worst bassists) that plays simple bass to write songs. I have developed a technique that requires the heaviest strings possible on a bass (no slappin or tech stuff). I therefore would like an instrument with a neck like Arnie Swartz that still stays in toon up the frets. I do like the sound of the Yam RGX A2 but not sure if it is up to the job. I assume that the heavier the strings you put on, the more torque you put on the neck? I have a budget of around £500.

Hi and welcome to Basschat - even though you [i]are[/i] a guitarist! :) (kidding, I'm a guitarist, too).
Instruments and strings usually come down to personal choice so I would just say to make sure the bass is properly set up for the guage of strings you want to use.
I'm guessing you might want your low E to be around a .110(?). If that suits, check what's around within your budget and go from there.
Yamaha basses are usually very good for mass-produced instruments (I've had a couple) and there's always the old faithful Precision (slightly wider neck than a Jazz bass).
For £500, you might even nab a Musicman... if you're lucky, a Stingray, but more possibly the now-discontinued SUB Bass. Check ebay as they do still come up and can go for less than 500. Hope some of the above helps.

Steve

[quote]I have developed a technique that requires the heaviest strings possible on a bass[/quote]

I'd like to see this technique demonstrated as it sounds to me increasingly like you intend to play your bass with a mallet :)

£500 can get you a lot, I'd look into buying a second hand Lakland Joe Osborn Jazz or one of the newer Fender Jazz's, I think from personal experience they offer you a wide range of tones and will cater for all styles. I also happen to like Yamaha gear, for the price the older BB series with the active electronics in them will give you a decent sound. Check in the for sale section of this site, there's always a bargain you can grab there.

Yes you are absolutely correct. I went through a few mallets and a few strings before I found a light rubber mallet. I feel slightly embarrassed about it among a bunch of pro slappers (although whatsisname who plays with Peter Gabriel does so on occasion). I really like the tone that comes from the mallet. It is also easier if you have to record for 2 days solid every couple of months. Unfortunately it requires hauzers on the instrument. I thought maybe a short scale bass may help. Looking into the Yam RGX A2. Would like a Stingray but not sure if it is too light.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' post='940112' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:10 PM']Yes you are absolutely correct. I went through a few mallets and a few strings before I found a light rubber mallet. I feel slightly embarrassed about it among a bunch of pro slappers (although whatsisname who plays with Peter Gabriel does so on occasion). I really like the tone that comes from the mallet. It is also easier if you have to record for 2 days solid every couple of months. Unfortunately it requires hauzers on the instrument. I thought maybe a short scale bass may help. Looking into the Yam RGX A2. Would like a Stingray but not sure if it is too light.[/quote]

:)

Those RGX's aren't the most aesthetically pleasing of instruments and I do reckon you might be better off with one of the older BB models but what ever floats your boat. Even the Squier 70's style Jazz might be up your street. Let us know how you get on anyhow.

[quote name='lowlandtrees' post='940112' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:10 PM']Yes you are absolutely correct. I went through a few mallets and a few strings before I found a light rubber mallet.[/quote]
Have you considered an alternative to the rubber mallet? These may give you a brighter tone and require less thick strings:

It doesn't matter about string gauge as far as the bass is concerned, the truss rod will need adjusting to compensate for the string gauge. Also, buy the strings in sets, that way the string tension will be pretty even across the neck and you won't finish up with the neck twisting.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for all the advice. I got myself an EBMM SUB from this site. Very pretty. Strings are very light but great action and intonation compared to the MIM precision that I have been slogging. thould really get myself a combo amp but I am reluctant to have both a guitar and bass amp. Anything to stop you having a guitar through a bass amp?

[quote name='lowlandtrees' post='956552' date='Sep 14 2010, 09:05 PM']thanks for all the advice. I got myself an EBMM SUB from this site. Very pretty. Strings are very light but great action and intonation compared to the MIM precision that I have been slogging. thould really get myself a combo amp but I am reluctant to have both a guitar and bass amp. Anything to stop you having a guitar through a bass amp?[/quote]
Nice one. Hopefully you'll be sorted in the bass department then. :)
Nothing wrong with putting guitar through a bass set-up if you EQ it accordingly.
A number of guitar players use a Fender Bassman head and cab. A drummist I work with had a Bassman 50 head with a 1x15 cab and it sounded great, particularly for Blues and Jazz and even a bit of Soul.