Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB-2

TheButler

So, i've not picked up my bass in months - but alas, i have seen the light. I want to get back into some casual playing with the other band fellows that left when i did. What better thing to do than to catalyse this with gear!?

I've wanted a hollowbody for a while now, but never had the balls to actually take the plunge and buy one. However, on tour i played a The Cardigans' Gibson EB-2, through my Mesa 400+ rig and ever since, i've kinda wanted one.

So, i was just wondering:

a) How often do they come up
:) What should i be looking to pay
c) Was i blinded by its beauty, and realistically they're crap?

Cheers
Jamie

Well according to [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB2.php"]this[/url] you're probably looking at around £2000 for a decent condition single pickup model and another £500 or so if yoy want the 2-pickup version.

Things to bear in mind are the fact that it's short scale, and Mahogany-necked Gibsons tend to suffer from headstock breaks so check the area where the headstock meets the neck very carefully before parting with any money.

If the Gibson is too much it might be worth looking for the Epiphone Rivoli which essentially the same bass with a different name on the headstock. The 60s models tend to command almost the same prices as the Gibsons and are less common, however it was re-issued in the 90s and these are definitely more affordable.

If you like the look but want a full 34" scale then have a look at the Warwick Starbass II or the Eccleshall 335 style bass (as used by Peter Hook).

[quote name='BigRedX' post='939285' date='Aug 29 2010, 11:41 AM']Well according to [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/EB2.php"]this[/url] you're probably looking at around £2000 for a decent condition single pickup model and another £500 or so if yoy want the 2-pickup version.

Things to bear in mind are the fact that it's short scale, and Mahogany-necked Gibsons tend to suffer from headstock breaks so check the area where the headstock meets the neck very carefully before parting with any money.

If the Gibson is too much it might be worth looking for the Epiphone Rivoli which essentially the same bass with a different name on the headstock. The 60s models tend to command almost the same prices as the Gibsons and are less common, however it was re-issued in the 90s and these are definitely more affordable.

If you like the look but want a full 34" scale then have a look at the Warwick Starbass II or the Eccleshall 335 style bass (as used by Peter Hook).[/quote]

Thats about the sort of ballpark i was told, by the Swedish bloke. Although he said he'd never sell his.

Yeh - i guess it'd need to really be checked out thoroughly and bought from someone trustworthy.

I've never tried a Rivoli, but i remember enquiring about one a while back. I'm not bothered about the short scale thing, its kinda one reason why i fancy one :)

I've always wanted an EB2. I got into a bit of a bidding war for a 60's rivoli a few years back on ebay but pulled out as the price seemed to be getting a bit crazy. alas it would probably be considered cheap these days. The rivoli reissues pop up now and again on ebay,I can't say I've ever seen and eb2 or rivoli for sale on this site though. I did consider the jack cassidy bass but it's something about the lower horn on it which i dont like.
I'd love to try one of the warwick star basses out

I have a 1967 Gibson EB2 finished in Cherry.

All sound advice above. Intonation can be a little awkward to get right, due to bridge design, and also the amount of choice in the string department is rather lacking these days. Some shops carry Rotosound short scale sets. I would love to know of others who make decent short scale sets? Drop tuning is an issue as well! :rolleyes: Main reason why mine doesn't get much use any more.

Love mine to bits. Love the skinny, short scale neck, and the Baritone circuit is great for blowing the dust out of a speaker cab.....and shaking things to bits!

my thoughts on the original questions are;

a) seem to turn up on Ebay in fits and starts. There are about 3 on at the moment
:) The going rate "appears" to be around £2,000 - £2500 for a good one. 60's Rivoli's seem cheaper.
c) they're huge fun, leight weight, and have some serious bottom end. They are bit of a one trick pony though, and can be fragile. Not really suitable for a player that likes to pull the strings hard either IMHO.

+1 for wanting to have a go on a Warwick Star Bass.

Hope this helps :lol:

For decent short-scale strings try [url="http://www.newtonestrings.com/"]Newtone[/url]. I could never get a set with a suitable sounding low E until I discovered them. I'm also firmly of the opinion that Rotosound are incapable of making consistent bass strings that aren't standard 34" 4-string sets.

For me the EB2 is the most pleasing looking of the Hollow-bodies basses. The Warwick Starbass II looks great and they make a 5-string model which is what I'd prefer, although I'd have to have the head reshaped to something more Gibson-like as I find the standard Warwick "paddle" unspeakably ugly. However the only example I've tried had the sharpest fingerboard edges I've ever encountered on a bass.

This would be a good alternative for a bit less dosh (albeit with import duties) - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170529628345&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT[/url] - and as I mentioned in another thread the '90's Epi Rivoli reissues are very good indeed.

I've got 2 EB-2's ('58 sunburst EB-2 & '69 cherry EB-2D) and love them to bits; not versatile but do the huge blues-rock sound like nothing else. If you can find/afford the 2-p/up EB-2D they definitely cut through a bit more. I've played nothing but long scale basses for years, but didn't find the short-scale an issue at all.