Why become a member? ×

Another one of Leo's

gary mac

[attachment=57665:056__2_.JPG][attachment=57664:042__2_.JPG][attachment=57663:055.JPG][attachment=57
662:056__2_.JPG]I could ill afford to do this, but as a post surgery and giving up smoking treat I put in a very last minute bid on ebay and won.

It arrived on wednesday as I was about to leave home for a three day fishing trip, so I'm only just getting to know it.
It arrived with the most awful fret buzz, literally all over. I've given the truss rod a tweek this morning, which has improved things no end, although it's still a bit buzzy up the dusty end.

It needs a set up, which I will hopefully get on with later today after I check out the G&L website for info on bridge adjustments.

First impressions are good and I think once it's set up to my preferences all will be good. Acoustically it rings out nicely. I haven't played it through my rig yet, but sounds promising on my little practice amp, certainly very powerful for a passive bass.
The seller put on a set of Highbeam strings. I've always heard good things about them and must say they sound and feel good.

It has some buckle rash and war wounds, but nothing major. What I wanted really, a bass that I can gig without getting in a stress about picking up dings and dents. I've been looking at roadworn fenders, but wasn't entirely happy about paying what seemed quite a high premium for the relicing.

Hopeful of a GAS free period now.

I've given it a decent set up now and it feels much better. Adjusted the truss rod and action, got rid of all the buzzing but kept it fairly low.

I've got a rehearsal tonight for a weekend dep, so I'm looking forward to hearing it through my rig to hear how it sits in a band mix and to get a comparison with my fender P.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='942524' date='Sep 1 2010, 07:32 PM']Any news after the rehersal?[/quote]

Hi Pete, the news is, I think it sounded marvelous.

I still have to be careful lifting and carryin at the moment, so I decided not to take my rig along and to just use the old Laney combo that resides in the rehearsal room.
It has a ripped speaker cone and has been generally mistreated and abused. Despite the combos failings the G&L sounded so good. The pickups seem to be hugely powerful, it really sat nicely in the mix and I could hear it perfectly.

Just as importantly for me, it was comfortable to play. We rehearsed for about two and half hours and although I was using a cheap non padded strap I didn't suffer any aches or pains. It's not much lighter than, for example my jazz but just balances nicely, which I find makes all the difference to the comfort factor.

I'm looking forward to gigging it at the weekend through my rig.

Conclusion so far: Impressed.

• 2 weeks later...