Why become a member? ×

Modifying Squier Classic Vibe '50's Precision

cameltoe

I've got a Classic Vibe '50's precision, which is my back-up bass, and having never really modified a bass before I thought this would be the ideal candidate!

I can't show you pics at the moment, as it's not currently with me, but it's just the regular lake placid blue with tele headstock model.

One of the reasons I've come up with the idea to modify it, is because I don't really like the thick lacquer finish on the neck. I love the bass, but when I go back to playing something with just a polished neck finish I really wish I had that on this bass. So, this is the area I'd like to attack first on this bass if possible.

So, hoping I can do something about this. Obviously these Squiers are great value for the money, but I have considered swapping the standard squier neck for a higher quality neck with hopefully less lacquer. I want to retain the tele headstock, so obviously if I want to replace with a used Fender neck I need to be looking for a '51 style neck from the Sting bass, or MIM Mike Dirnt bass. I've no idea how 'finished' these necks are mind you.

There is also the option of a new AllParts licenced Fender neck, unfinished, with the tele headstock. How high is the quality on these though?

option 3 is to try and remove the finish from this neck, but in doing that, I'll never be able to put it back like it was, should I need to do that for any reason.

Thanks for any advice!

Warning! If you remove the lacquer, the neck will become so unstable it will change action at the slightest change of weather / humidity etc. You'll find that a maple neck which is left unlaquered by a manufacturer, such as musicman for example has either been selected out of a stronger lump or treated with some particular preserving method which allows it to keep it's tensile strenght while the timber is bare. I am not making this up but a friend of mine also had a Squier which he didn't like the feel of the lacquer, took it to a a mate with a belt sander and had it fully unlaquered. Within days after restringing it the neck was like a flag on a pole, so bad he had to junk it in the end. Be careful, you have a beautiful bass (I have the very same one) don't ruin it.

[quote name='Johnston' post='939037' date='Aug 28 2010, 09:23 PM']Why not pick up a squier Mike Dirnt then flip it on Ebay with the CV neck or in bits?

I've never had my hands on a 50's CV yet, but I think the MIM Mike Dirnt neck is a thinner all round. If you want I can measure mine tomorrow. I think the sting or the '51 reissue s necks would be closer in profile.[/quote]

Yeah could you measure it? I'd be interested to know what the differences are. Is the finish fairly bare on the Mike Dirnt?

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='939046' date='Aug 28 2010, 09:38 PM']The Fender 51RI is very varnished FYI.[/quote]

Thanks, I've never seen one in the flesh so wasn't sure.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='939108' date='Aug 28 2010, 11:21 PM']Warning! If you remove the lacquer, the neck will become so unstable it will change action at the slightest change of weather / humidity etc. You'll find that a maple neck which is left unlaquered by a manufacturer, such as musicman for example has either been selected out of a stronger lump or treated with some particular preserving method which allows it to keep it's tensile strenght while the timber is bare. I am not making this up but a friend of mine also had a Squier which he didn't like the feel of the lacquer, took it to a a mate with a belt sander and had it fully unlaquered. Within days after restringing it the neck was like a flag on a pole, so bad he had to junk it in the end. Be careful, you have a beautiful bass (I have the very same one) don't ruin it.[/quote]

Yeah I was never keen on that idea- and you have a point- my Road Worn precision neck moves about a fair bit. It's a stunning neck, but it does need taking out of it's case at a gig fairly early and leaving to settle before tuning. The Classic Vibe is more stable.

I'd like to be able to put the CV neck back on and return it to standard should I so wish, so I'd prefer to find a replacement neck.

What are the Allparts necks like? I think I remember hearing good things.

I could pick one of those up and see how I get on- will have the original neck to always return it back to how it was then.

Just grab some 0000 grade wire wool and run that up and down the neck.

That'll take the heavy, stickiness off of the neck and still leave lots of lacquer there. Takes about 30 seconds and makes a world of difference. I nicknamed this a 'satinised' neck and it's an option on every setup I do.

Don't use sandpaper or anything other than 0000 grade wire wool as you might do some damage.

[quote name='7string' post='940132' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:30 PM']Just grab some 0000 grade wire wool and run that up and down the neck.

That'll take the heavy, stickiness off of the neck and still leave lots of lacquer there. Takes about 30 seconds and makes a world of difference. I nicknamed this a 'satinised' neck and it's an option on every setup I do.

Don't use sandpaper or anything other than 0000 grade wire wool as you might do some damage.[/quote]

My spector has a painted neck, and it does get a bit sticky - would that trick work there too?

+1 to the fine grade wet'n'dry. 1500 grit used wet should leave it totally smooth to the eye but take the sticky shine off, you won't take off a significant amount either.
EDIT: Also, if you don't like it you can just re-gloss it using rubbing compound and it's indistinguishable from new.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='7string' post='940132' date='Aug 30 2010, 05:30 PM']Just grab some 0000 grade wire wool and run that up and down the neck.

Don't use sandpaper or anything other than 0000 grade wire wool as you might do some damage.[/quote]

Great, will try this first!

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='940977' date='Aug 31 2010, 02:14 PM']If you want the lacquer off, Danish oil will seal it and gives a lovely feel, plus it is easy to put new coats on as it wears.[/quote]

Ok cheers