Why become a member? ×

Which pickguard for my latest OLP MM2?

mcnach

:rolleyes: Well, I just got the subject of my latest project: a metallic blue OLP MM2 with maple fingerboard. One of the older ones, with a blue that is a bit greenish, depending on the light, which I think is nicer than the later models.

I've owned 4 OLP MM2, and 3 were pretty good, one was terrible (and was sold). This one was bought for one purpose: convert it to fretless. I couldn't find a fretless OLP, and I don't want to go into high $$$ for a MusicMan (could not find any fretless SUBs either), so I thought this could be fun... and I'll have my luthier friend on standby in case I mess something up :lol:

Anyway. I just wanted to ask what people think about... colours. Yep, lame as that... that's my question :)

It came with a white pickguard, which is going to go. I hate the way it looks:

So I'm thinking of going with one of two options. One is a black pickguard... here's a picture with my Stingray's black pickguard placed on top (it leaves a thin gap on the top, but it can be sorted). The shape is also a bit rounder, as you can see, which I think it's nicer than the OLP's:

The other alternative is a "black pearloid" type of pickguard, a bit like this one (not the shape, just the colour, obviously):

what do you think?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='934574' date='Aug 24 2010, 11:06 AM']I think I saw this on the bay?
There's a nice double humbucker one on now I may buy.[/quote]

You may have seen it indeed!
There were two of these at the same time. I took the first one. Lucky, as that decreases competition. £120 is ok for a bass like this I think.

There's also a 3-band active one, with SD pickup and hard case... Asking for £200+, I forget now, but if it's the SD preamp it could be a pretty good deal.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='934573' date='Aug 24 2010, 11:04 AM']I kind of prefer the white. How about clear?[/quote]

You got me curious, so I removed the pickguard.
The pickup routing is, as I expected, a big square, bigger than the pickup, and won't look nice. In addition, I think this bass used to belong to a "Jim" at some point, who carved his name on the body under the pickguard! Not sure it shows clearly in the pictures.
I also found that the greenish tinge is not the original, but just the way the blue fades! Because under the pickguard it's VERY blue (again the pictures didn't show it as much as you can see it in person), but it's still a different blue from later OLPs. Maybe I'll set a stand by the window just for this bass to fade the blue even further. Perhaps in another 15 years it gets a little greener :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='934846' date='Aug 24 2010, 02:43 PM']Like a good Scotsman "made in Spain" :) I like the Saltire. But that's not a permanent one. It's just for special occasions :o[/quote]
Seems fair enough. :rolleyes:

Then again, what would a Sassenach like me know... :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' post='934620' date='Aug 24 2010, 11:51 AM']You got me curious, so I removed the pickguard.
The pickup routing is, as I expected, a big square, bigger than the pickup, and won't look nice. In addition, I think this bass used to belong to a "Jim" at some point, who carved his name on the body under the pickguard! Not sure it shows clearly in the pictures.
I also found that the greenish tinge is not the original, but just the way the blue fades! Because under the pickguard it's VERY blue (again the pictures didn't show it as much as you can see it in person), but it's still a different blue from later OLPs. Maybe I'll set a stand by the window just for this bass to fade the blue even further. Perhaps in another 15 years it gets a little greener :)

[/quote]

I that's more dirt, than fade.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='934988' date='Aug 24 2010, 04:42 PM']I that's more dirt, than fade.[/quote]

No, it's not ultra clean, but it's not dirt.
It's all over, but especially noticable at the headstock, that's more of a blueish green by now. I noticed a similar effect on a white guitar I once had. The sun could shine on the headstock only where the guitar stand was placed. Within a couple of years the headstock (finished to match the body) was noticeable creamier than the body, which remained white.

[quote name='iconic' post='935120' date='Aug 24 2010, 06:34 PM']I like the white pickguard, also maybe worth going over the paint with some T cut as it may bring the colour back?

... nice looking bass.[/quote]
Pewter with a bit of OTT engraving

[quote name='iconic' post='935120' date='Aug 24 2010, 06:34 PM']I like the white pickguard, also maybe worth going over the paint with some T cut as it may bring the colour back?[/quote]

Actually I would rather take it to a tanning shop, to see if the UV light fades the blue, as I prefer the greenish hue.
No, I will not do that. Just saying that I like the faded colour best.