Why become a member? ×

New GB Rumour 5

Mike Brooks

I was in for a fitting when Bernie got that walnut in. He wasn't sure about it as most of his basses are quilt/flame/birdseye. We laid all the bits out and I said he had to go for it and that walnut was very popular on basschat, so he kept it and did your basses. So even though I dont like furniture I made a tiny contribution to your basses.

[quote name='phsycoandy' post='247216' date='Jul 24 2008, 07:58 PM']Im not sure where this "furniture bass" phrase came from really, i mean some of these exotic quilted finishes lookas much like a coffee table as these walnut ones, be good to get the triplets together.[/quote]

There's four...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks.Iv placed a deposit for a GB with the full LED package.Thing is its getting close to the time when final decisions have to be made!!Im still not sure what body shape to go for!!Iv always loved the Rumour but recently the Spitfire has been grabbing my attention.Im going for a thru neck either way as i like to see as much of the top as possible(iv reserved a FANTASTIC piece of quilted maple).Colours and fingerboard wood still have to be chosen as well!!Too much choice!!

[quote name='Mike Brooks' post='246463' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:30 PM']This is going over old ground but was reminded of this thread by a feloow GB fan.

Not sure if anyone agrees but to my eyes Rumours don't suit solid colour finishes, whereas Spitfires suit fancy woods or solid colour. Rumours just need a nice top to set off the shape/curves, etc.

Just a thought for discussion!

Mike[/quote]

Er...I think the Rumours look best in the Daphne Blue to be honest. Whenever I see a Daphne Blue one I always think I really want one.

[quote name='4000' post='253745' date='Aug 3 2008, 03:21 PM']Er...I think the Rumours look best in the Daphne Blue to be honest. Whenever I see a Daphne Blue one I always think I really want one.[/quote]

I think they look great also. Not the biggest fan of the scratchplates though. Mind you, I generally don't like any bass with a scratchplate!

[quote name='bassket_case' post='254416' date='Aug 4 2008, 02:14 PM']I think they look great also. Not the biggest fan of the scratchplates though. Mind you, I generally don't like any bass with a scratchplate![/quote]

Well I'm probably a bit baised as I have one (lol) but I think the Daphne Blue Rumour with the 'snot' green scratchplate c/w with chrome hardware look the absolute dogs!!! (Do like the fancy multi-laminate 'furniture' ones too though!!!)

Cheers
Dave

[quote name='pnefc42' post='255148' date='Aug 5 2008, 10:19 AM']Well I'm probably a bit baised as I have one (lol) but I think the Daphne Blue Rumour with the 'snot' green scratchplate c/w with chrome hardware look the absolute dogs!!! (Do like the fancy multi-laminate 'furniture' ones too though!!!)

Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Indeed - looks great - especially with the blue lights!

My fave solid colour Rumour still remains the blue four string... the one that will never be sold!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='256082' date='Aug 6 2008, 11:10 AM']Indeed - looks great - especially with the blue lights!

My fave solid colour Rumour still remains the blue four string... the one that will never be sold![/quote]

I tried that bass at Bass Day UK a couple of years ago. Bernie said "oh that one's thrown together, try the others". So I did, but I liked that one by far the best. Shame he wouldn't sell it, I'd have happily bought it.

[quote name='4000' post='256883' date='Aug 7 2008, 08:19 AM']I tried that bass at Bass Day UK a couple of years ago. Bernie said "oh that one's thrown together, try the others". So I did, but I liked that one by far the best. Shame he wouldn't sell it, I'd have happily bought it.[/quote]

yup, thrown together, yet it seems a really special one and probably the most famous one! (it's been leant out a bit - it's just come off tour with Mika!)