Why become a member? ×

New GB Rumour 5

Mike Brooks

• 6 months later...

This is going over old ground but was reminded of this thread by a feloow GB fan.

Not sure if anyone agrees but to my eyes Rumours don't suit solid colour finishes, whereas Spitfires suit fancy woods or solid colour. Rumours just need a nice top to set off the shape/curves, etc.

Just a thought for discussion!

Mike

[quote name='Mike Brooks' post='246463' date='Jul 23 2008, 10:30 PM']This is going over old ground but was reminded of this thread by a feloow GB fan.

Not sure if anyone agrees but to my eyes Rumours don't suit solid colour finishes, whereas Spitfires suit fancy woods or solid colour. Rumours just need a nice top to set off the shape/curves, etc.

Just a thought for discussion!

Mike[/quote]

It's funny you say that, one of the most stunning Rumours I have seen is a black 4 string Rumour with blue LEDs. No scratchplate or anything... and it looked... stunning.

The Rumour lends itself to the use of exotic woods due to the laminate construction. Its all down to personal taste at the end of the day!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='246649' date='Jul 24 2008, 09:48 AM']It's funny you say that, one of the most stunning Rumours I have seen is a black 4 string Rumour with blue LEDs. No scratchplate or anything... and it looked... stunning.

The Rumour lends itself to the use of exotic woods due to the laminate construction. Its all down to personal taste at the end of the day![/quote]

Absolutely! So who is going to lay down the money for a thru neck Spitfire....or more to the point, does anyone have one?

Mike

[quote name='Mike Brooks' post='246662' date='Jul 24 2008, 10:04 AM']Absolutely! So who is going to lay down the money for a thru neck Spitfire....or more to the point, does anyone have one?

Mike[/quote]

I think there is at least one...

[quote name='Mike Brooks' post='246681' date='Jul 24 2008, 10:35 AM']You're right, there is a red thru-neck on the GB Galleries page.

Surprised there aren't more about......

Mike[/quote]

Why? Do you prefer thru-necks to bolt on?

Do you prefer the look? Feel? (I like the contour you can get with a thru neck where the body and neck join which you can't get with a bolt on)

I don't have a preference one way or the other, both designs have their merits and I have a bass collection which is probably 60% bolt on and 40% thru neck, some basses work better or feel better with either design but I don't have a specific preference.

There's no doubting the aesthetic of a great thru-neck but likewise, the bounciness of a bolt on is great too and makes neck changes, retro LED-addition much easier.

The only neck preference I have is for glossy, lacquered necks and occasionally a lacquered fingerboard but that's not to say some satin necks aren't great, I just find some basses use satin necks as an excuse for not finishing the necks off properly, thankfully it doesn't happen very often.

Couldn't be happier with my GB necks though.

Mike

Edited by Mike Brooks

Seeing that red thru neck a year or so ago got me gassing for a GB and so i started saving, I believe it was for sale on the old forum at one point and i did try to trace the owner to see if he would sell it, but no luck finding him, it is a stunner for sure, but they all are.

No, it's a beaut. I remember seeing the first of those as they appeared and was being setup, Mr Goodfellow had certainly turned a corner when he got that wood in.

Got to pop in a week on Saturday when I'm gigging in Brighton....wonder what new delights will be underway on the workbench?!