Why become a member? ×

Matching Cabs to Amps

fdavidso

Hi all,
I am just about to take delivery of a rather splendid Eden Nemesis CN115 combo courtesy of ShergoldSnickers (thanks again). The amp part is rated 250 watts in to 4 Ohms, but the internal speaker is rated as 8 Ohms. If in the future I was to need the full whack and so got an extension cabinet, what rating does it need to be? I understand the in parallel (CN115 requires rewiring for this) an additional 8 Ohm speaker would present a 4 Ohm load to the amp. But do the speaker(s) need to be (both/all - say a 2X10 extension cab) rated at 250 watts or is there some maths jiggery pokery with watts too?

Cheers

Dyce

And I would tend to get the same sort of cab taylormade to work with this combo/amp.

Some cabs suit some amps better than others, IME. so I'd start by checking out Nemesis cabs.

On TB, there are whole threads about amp/cabs matchups, and whilst it is pretty much true that any speaker will work as an extn cab, it will help if you start in the same ball-park.

IMV, the best chance of the best match-up, cab wise, is the same as what you already have.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='929461' date='Aug 19 2010, 10:09 AM']You're right - you need another 8 Ohm cab in parallel. Providing both cabs are the same impedence, then they will both get the same power i.e. 250W split between both - 125W each, so get a cab with suitable rating.

G.[/quote]

Thanks for all the replies -

still a little unclear on one point. If a "cabinet" is rated at 125 watts, does this mean that all speakers inside that cabinet are rated at 125 watts or again is there a division process? (In half a mind to build a cab myself - so need to know what speakers to order if and when the glorious day ever came)

[quote name='fdavidso' post='929692' date='Aug 19 2010, 12:51 PM']Thanks for all the replies -

still a little unclear on one point. If a "cabinet" is rated at 125 watts, does this mean that all speakers inside that cabinet are rated at 125 watts or again is there a division process? (In half a mind to build a cab myself - so need to know what speakers to order if and when the glorious day ever came)[/quote]

Generally realtes to the total power output, ie a 4x10 320w cab would have each speaker rated at about 80w

Hi there :)

If buying an extension cab new - [url="http://www.bassmerchant.com/item_detail.php?product_id=449&category_id=2#"]this might be the place to go[/url] - very good price. No, I don't get any commission, but I will say they were very helpful when I chatted to them.

I was actually thinking of getting this as an extension cab and then rewiring for parallel, before some very unexpected stray dosh meant I could completely rethink from scratch. The 2 by 10" cab looks to be quite sensitive, so should actually go louder than the combo speaker for a similar input of watts. At a later date, you could buy a dedicated amp, keep the 2 by 10", look at another cab to go with it and sell the combo. This gives an upgrade path should you want one. Don't worry about the 2 by 10" being rated at more than you technically require.

As for the alternative of building a cab - that's a good one. With the right design, you'll end up with a great cab that outperforms lots of commercial ones and will probably make much more efficient use of the watts fed to it.

[url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/"]Take a look here[/url] The 'Jack' range, Omni 12, Omni 15 or the 'Tallboy' versions of these are the ones to look at.

There is no way of knowing how a built cab would integrate with the combo though, and you'd have to be careful with impedance matching when buying the speakers to go in it. It's tempting though.

Snicks.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='930539' date='Aug 20 2010, 07:54 AM']There is no way of knowing how a built cab would integrate with the combo though, and you'd have to be careful with impedance matching when buying the speakers to go in it. It's tempting though.

Snicks.[/quote]

Hiya,
Yes - I can imagine 9 months of slogging in the shed to plug in and the whole lot goes up like a pantomime genie... Thanks for the links Snicks. I'll read with interest.