Why become a member? ×

Bass guitar through guitar amp?

michael-faces

Hi, I'm just wondering if its possible to run a bass through the preamp designed for guitar. I really want to know if a guitar preamp will give you a better distorted bass sound. Or could you run a guitar a guitar preamp into a bass preamp and then into a cab? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm relatively new to stuff like this.

Thanks!

Running a guitar preamp is fine. Some guitar pres roll off some bass though, mostly it is the dinky transformer in guitar power stages that cut the lows though. I use a peavey Raxx preamp, which is apparenly identical to the guitar equivalent aside from some clipping diode for extra drive. It has loads of drive anyway.

A lot of a guitar's sound comes from the cabinet mind, guitar cabs are very 'badly' designed from a technical viewpoint and colour the sound heavily, which might mean you don't end up with a guitary sound coming from your bass cab.

[quote name='Ian Savage' post='928640' date='Aug 18 2010, 01:49 PM']I'd be tempted if you have the option to split the bass signal into the two preamps and run each one into a separate amp and cab, but obviously that doubles the amount of gear you have to carry...[/quote]

Not if you push over your guitarist and use his rig as the second one.

Not through a mixer, that is a variation on the theme of preamp. If it is a powered mixer you can though, or a bass head, usually going via the fx return bypasses the amps own preamp.

Loads of good power amps about, main consideration is weight. Missed out on Shockwaves one, the new PVR IPR are the current thing to get I think.

to keep all the preamps and power amp together you will also need a rack case. although depending on your power requirements, i'd be tempted to run the guitar preamp into a bass amp head. Something like an ashdown mag300 or 600 head can be had for less that £200 and had a pretty decent eq section where you can ad some low end to the signal, plus its one less thing to worry about as the preamp and power amp are all in one.

I gigged a bass through a fender valve guitar amp in a pub band years back, it sounded great and never played up on me, you could even pick up the radio on it!

Not sure if science wise it was a good idea, but it worked fine

Edited by lojo

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='932508' date='Aug 22 2010, 09:40 AM']I've heard a warwick through a Roland JC 120, an amp that delivers full range acoustic amplification (like a hi-fi amp for your home sound system). Sounded impressive.

T[/quote]
JC's handle just about anything you can plug in.....I think they were originally designed as a keyboard amp