Why become a member? ×

Introducing the IbYam bass guitar....

Jigster

Hi all

have posted my exploits so far as I determine to utilise a spare Ibanez Blazer body that has been kicking around the loft for years.

I actually have a second Blazer which I often gig with that I bought from the US and I love it, so was keen not to let this body go. I pic left.

The body came with no neck, but has original brass bridge, and original matt black bakerlite type pickguard. The original pups were in it but I stupidly loaded them into a diff bass which is now gone in a trade for something I no longer have!!!

The neck plate shows it's date to be 1981, I believe.

The ash body was coated, by a previous owner I'm sure, in a crappy varnish which came off easily and I've now sanded it down with 320 grade sandpaper to its current state. It's got many dents and dings in the wood, but it's an 81 body - and anyway, I sort of like all that. Not so keen on polished perfect condition stuff.

BUT, have been contemplating what neck. Anyway, as it's my first foray into this sort of thing I didn't want to spend too much on Fender bass necks etc or even for something like a Mighty Mite neck which is without tuners etc, and then find it doesn't fit or whatever. I'm not the MOST practical of guys and spent a whole term at school trying to perfect a dovetail joint - so all of this is a big deal for me! But I lack a natural confidence.

I wanted 21 frets,which is what the original Blazer's have. So I dug out my Yamaha BB-350 (youngest son's learning guitar) and tried the neck into the pocket of the Ibanez body - it fits very snug. OMG - it sort of goes together. :)

It's early 80's meets sort of late/mid 90's - it's an [b]IbYam.[/b]

I'm contemplating a sort of gun oil finish - using Tru Oil which I know is going to be a marked contrast to the satin finish of the Yammy neck, but we'll see. Also got a feeling the neck might be a little top heavy when playing -perhaps change tuners at a later date. But I screwed the neck on and strung it up this morning, and the action is really impressive, the neck is very true and a joy to play when on the Yamaha. The intonation acoustically sounds good and I raised the saddles a little on the bridge and it seems, acoustically, to sound okay.

So next is the pups, which I may go to a guitar tech for as of course it's totally gutted, so where to start!!. Considering a Di Marzio DP122 - as used on someone else's build up the page. I don't want anything too modern or metal.

Anyway, so a way to go yet, but essentially I think there's something playable there and all for kind of nothing - maybe £70 ish for the pup and then some more for the pots/jack socket etc and guitar tech's labour of course, but aside from that it's all re-cycled.

Slideshow beneath, which right now is pretty darn short but will get back with more as it progresses:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49793253@N07/sets/72157624751467786/show/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/49793253@N07/...751467786/show/[/url]

Edited by Jigster

• 2 weeks later...

The Yamanez (thanks edward) has been progressing. Body now oiled up with 12 coats of Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil - feeling chuffed with the results - has really brought out the grain beautiifully. Still giving it a wipe over every day, but it's pretty much at the shade I wanted.

I've also had a go at the headstock and done away with the Yamaha decal - but worried that the existing tuners are just going to create too much neck dive. Looking at ultralights from HipShot.

Wizard Thumper on order -

now nervous about putting the pots and jack socket together and wiring the pup - might be calling for help by end of the weekend

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/49793253@N07/sets/72157624751467786/show/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/49793253@N07/...751467786/show/[/url]