Why become a member? ×

Warwick advice please!

warwickhunt

I have a student who is considering getting a Warwick FNA Corvette Jazzman. He was asking my advice and I had to admit that BO Warwicks have never really been my cup of tea. I let him have a blast on my NT Corvette (avatar bass) and he loved it but I had to warn him that the BO may well be very different. Contrary to what you might think I'm not even trying to sway him to get a Warwick, I believe in free choice (I started on Fender Jazzes and wouldn't have changed that for a think), he didn't even know I ad a Warwick as I demonstrate on a Variaxe bass.

My question is; has anyone any experiences of the FNA Jazzman AND experiences of Warwick NT basses so that I can point him in the right direction. For that matter how does the said bass stack up against the competition?

As far as I know the bolt-ons are pretty good, better than that even. I tried a Corvette Hot Rod with a bolt on neck and that was SEX. I seriously cannot see how the FNA can be bad unless he doesn't like the 'thicker' necks. But as most people will say, its better if he tries one out for himself, but I know sometimes thats easier said than done :)

[quote name='E_MaN' post='104006' date='Dec 13 2007, 06:56 PM']As far as I know the bolt-ons are pretty good, better than that even. I tried a Corvette Hot Rod with a bolt on neck and that was SEX. I seriously cannot see how the FNA can be bad unless he doesn't like the 'thicker' necks. But as most people will say, its better if he tries one out for himself, but I know sometimes thats easier said than done :)[/quote]

Yes the locale isn't brimming with basses (especially new Warwicks), I think his parents mentioned buying from Thomanne, so chances of try before you buy are slim (which is scaring me). I'm aware that he's been trying loads of different basses out but the FNA Jazzman is doing it for him at the moment!

I've had 2 Warwicks, a Corvette, and currently a BO Thumb4. I a-b'd the Thumb BO and NT. I'd have to say that if I'd had the extra cash I probably would have gone for the NT but that was because I thought the 3 band EQ was better than the 2 band on the BO not because of the neck or neck profile, sustain what have yer.

well i had an fna jazzman as my main gigging bass since about 2000 until very recently when i sold it. It was a fabulous bit of kit, very punchy and aggressive sounding when maxed out on the eq, and capable of an almost perfect stingray impression (compared to my piezo ray) i found the neck to be slightly thicker than a jazz, but certainly nothing beefy. It was sooo versatile and very light. The body was easily marked and the top was very soft, but it was very stable (although a bit temperature afflicted in the very cold house!) I found the balance a little odd, esp compared to my streamer lx from the same year, but i gigged the hell out of it for 7 years with no doubts or worries! I MUCH pref the bolt on warwicks to the thru necks myself!, esp for rock.
Loads of pics of it in action: www/myspace.com/gafbass02