Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy a DAW

bennyblu

Hi

I am looking to buy a DAW, I have been using cubase sx for a few years but I am currently out of step with new DAW developments.

What would people suggest in order to record audio based songs-acoustic guitars, vox and live band etc.

I also like to compose using midi i.e. dance and soundscape tracks.

Would two seperate DAW's be the best, one geared towards midi i.e. reason and one towards more audio recording i.e. pro tools or cubase and combining the two when necessary.

I am pc based.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='bennyblu' post='925238' date='Aug 14 2010, 10:32 PM']Hi

I am looking to buy a DAW, I have been using cubase sx for a few years but I am currently out of step with new DAW developments.

What would people suggest in order to record audio based songs-acoustic guitars, vox and live band etc.

I also like to compose using midi i.e. dance and soundscape tracks.

Would two seperate DAW's be the best, one geared towards midi i.e. reason and one towards more audio recording i.e. pro tools or cubase and combining the two when necessary.

I am pc based.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

If you have been using Cubase SX for years, why not go for Cubase 5?
Does everything Midi [as good as any other DAW] and Audio.[Has good Acid type beat stretching and a great media bay
for bringing in loops etc to the project tempo.] It will be less of a learning curve for you, no different to SX so more time to make music.

All the big ones do pretty much the same these days.Its just really down to the work flow of each one.
Another thing to remember is what bundled plug ins and soft synth/drum modules come with each one.
They all vary with that side of it.

One thing to take into account with Pro-Tools [LE or MP] is the delay plug in compensation messing around, and the midi
side of things is not so advanced as the other major DAWS.But getting better all the time.
Link here for that stuff, worth a read.[Delay comp]
[url="http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/Delay_Comp_PT_Host_Systems_33000.pdf"]http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs...stems_33000.pdf[/url]

I use Cubase [well Nuendo] and Ableton live 8 re-wired together [2 DAWS] and it works a treat.
Just about everthing covered.

You might get a good idea for things by going around the various DAW forums, that way you get the good. the bad and
the ugly from regular users.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

I've stayed with Cubase simply because I know the workflow better than other DAWs. I can't quite bring myself to learn all the buttons / shortcuts in another DAW just to accomplish what I could do already. Having said that, it can be worth while exploring other DAWs to get new ideas on workflow. (e.g. Ableton's approach is great fun).
Also, Cubase Studio 5 is highly capable and a fair bit cheaper than the full Cubase 5 if you don't need 1000s of samples, surround sound, advanced outboard gear routing, and extra plugins / VST Instrument's etc.

I've used Reaper a little but only version 2. It looks like they've overhauled the MIDI functionality / workflow for version 3, which was the main reason I didn't look into it any more at the time. All the audio related tools were great though. Might have to have another look sometime...

The new contender that I think looks interesting is Presonus Studio One:
[url="http://www.presonus.com/products/SoftwareDetail.aspx?SoftwareId=11"]http://www.presonus.com/products/SoftwareD...x?SoftwareId=11[/url]

I've tried the demo and it feels familiar to a Cubase user but with less windows everywhere. The UI and workflow feels a little more geared towards musicians rather than engineers. Also, a fair few (ex-)Steinberg / Cubase developers seem to have jumped ship to work on Studio One. Which may or may not affect the direction of future Cubase development. Definitely one to keep an eye on!

Ultimately though, if you're happy with your results coming from Reason and Cubase, then there's probably little reason to learn a whole new DAW - just learn the features that have been introduced in the newer versions. You'll have more time to spend making and recording music, rather than having to re-learn which buttons to push :)

Thanks for all the advice. I will check out the new DAW's mentioned (already downloaded Reaper demo).
Abelton sounds good, heard some good things about it. Have been looking at Cubase 5. I think I will look towards to Reason, Cubase combination (+ poss Ableton and other DAW's mentioned).
Thanks again.

For something quick & easy, but still with a fair few options I have always been happy with Mackie Tracktion as something that works across one screen without loads of sub menus & screens, BUT it's more PC than MAC and hasn't had an upgrade or even a fix subversion in a few years now so seems to have been acquired by Mackie to leave it to wither & die sadly.

I used cubase for years with PC. Got fed up with my PC being crap and bought a mac, best thing I ever did!

I bought a used mac G5 for about £300, then a used digi 002 interface for about £400, then Pro tools LE8 for £100

Total £800, turned PC on, installed software, plugged desk in, ready to go! No messing with drivers or any of that rubbish

Took some time to get used to PT, but it is very obvious in a lot of respects. It just works every time, no problems unless I run some huge plug in, and that is just cos the mac is an older machine!

Best move I have made, guitarist in my band has similar set up on a sh*t hot PC which cost a fair but to build, we move sessions between machines without any problems. Great for writing and we use a lot of tracks, which has never caused me a problem

Tony