Why become a member? ×

MM Stingray pickups

peteb

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='925845' date='Aug 15 2010, 09:05 PM']This is what I'd do.

However I have 4 MM pups spanning the decades from '78 to '06 and none of them seem to display this problem. I can't even imagine how you can be hitting your fingers off the pole pieces seeing as they are directly below the strings. :)[/quote]
Ou7shined - for your information:

Try anchoring your thumb between the screws at the top of your MM style pick up and playing the 'g' string with alternative fingers (index & middle), which will be directly above the rear pole pieces. As you pluck thru the 'g' string your finger will come to rest on or actually below the 'd' (this is the same with the 'd' & 'a' strings but not so apparent with 'a' to 'e' due to the position of your hand on these strings). My middle finger is longer than my index and tends to catch on the back pole piece, especially when raking from string to string

I usually have epoxy covered pickups set quite close to the strings and the idea is that your fingers glide just above the top of the pickup cover – this is quite a common technique and is used by Billy Sheehan (he talks about it in one of his instructional DVDs) & I’m sure many others (but probably not by those playing bleedin’ stingrays)!!

Have you tried pushing the pole pieces in yet? They will end up flush with the pup as your thumb is larger than them. They will go in, even though at first you may not be sure. You can then adjust the height for the G string. Job done. It worked a treat for me and has given my 92 Ray a completely new lease of life!

[quote name='mep' post='925924' date='Aug 15 2010, 10:17 PM']Have you tried pushing the pole pieces in yet? They will end up flush with the pup as your thumb is larger than them. They will go in, even though at first you may not be sure. You can then adjust the height for the G string. Job done. It worked a treat for me and has given my 92 Ray a completely new lease of life![/quote]
When I have tried to push the poles down they just spring back up! Will take the pickguard off and have a proper attempt (any advice welcome) when I get back and before I shell out for a new pickup!

Cheers.....

[quote name='peteb' post='925882' date='Aug 15 2010, 09:36 PM']Ou7shined - for your information:

Try anchoring your thumb between the screws at the top of your MM style pick up and playing the 'g' string with alternative fingers (index & middle), which will be directly above the rear pole pieces. As you pluck thru the 'g' string your finger will come to rest on or actually below the 'd' (this is the same with the 'd' & 'a' strings but not so apparent with 'a' to 'e' due to the position of your hand on these strings). My middle finger is longer than my index and tends to catch on the back pole piece, especially when raking from string to string

I usually have epoxy covered pickups set quite close to the strings and the idea is that your fingers glide just above the top of the pickup cover – this is quite a common technique and is used by Billy Sheehan (he talks about it in one of his instructional DVDs) & I’m sure many others (but probably not by those playing bleedin’ stingrays)!![/quote]
I gave it a bash but my hands are huge and if I rest my thumb between the screws then my fingers fall midway between the pup and the bridge. When playing a 'ray I normally rest my thumb at the furthest forward point of the pup (which brings my fingertips closer in). Trying what you suggested I noticed that I don't really tend to go under the string all that much, I sort of rake acutely from on top. To force myself to accidentally hit a pole piece I have to come around a bit and go at it pretty rapid to the point where my technique starts to collapse but I do see what you mean

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='926066' date='Aug 16 2010, 03:08 AM']I gave it a bash but my hands are huge and if I rest my thumb between the screws then my fingers fall midway between the pup and the bridge. When playing a 'ray I normally rest my thumb at the furthest forward point of the pup (which brings my fingertips closer in). Trying what you suggested I noticed that I don't really tend to go under the string all that much, I sort of rake acutely from on top. To force myself to accidentally hit a pole piece I have to come around a bit and go at it pretty rapid to the point where my technique starts to collapse but I do see what you mean[/quote]
I think that it's a pretty fair assumption that my fingers will be longer & thinner and will therefore tend to 'fall down the gaps' between the strings more than yours, together with the fact that I’m used to having the pickup cover up higher so if you do dig in too far your finger will bounce up from the smooth p/up cover without you even being aware

Try raking ascending thirds and seconds up a scale on the ‘g’ & ‘d’ strings in this way, so in E for example it might be ‘D’,’B’; ‘E’, ‘D’; ‘G’, ‘E’, ‘A’, ‘#F’ then descending back again and when you get it up to speed you can get some really fast & fluid runs going that sound pretty impressive but are really quite easy to pull off!

But not if you have pickup pole pieces standing 3mm proud of the casing & getting in your way!!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='925767' date='Aug 15 2010, 07:16 PM']I don't have a MM bass or even a MM pup in front of me but is it not possible to simply remove the plastic pup surround and replace that with a 'sealed' top (a la Bartolini/EMG) cover... failing that if the plastic surround comes off can you fit a spacer that will mean the pole pieces are dropped below the level of the surround (in my mind I know what I'm talking about, even if nobody else does :) ). I am just thinking out loud here and it might be a completely sealed unit for all I know! :rolleyes:[/quote]

I know what you're saying.

I was having a similar problem on my fretless '62 jazz. I put some folded paper under the pickup cover, between the poles. Just to lift the cover off the pickup by a few millimeters.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Peteb, Im not sure about your question but I have to admit that after practice with my 2002 EB last week my fingers do indeed hit the poles!.I have never noticed before but now you have pointed it out I couldnt stop thinking about it when I was playing.Im sure I will forget again though and someone will be along soon with the answer to the above. :)

I have had it pointed out to me by a sound engineer that I used to hit the strings off the poles and make loud clicks when playing hard at loud gigs.

My solution to this was to install a thumb rest just in front of the pickup and a little closer to the strings. I don't hit the pole pieces now and crossing strings is faster.

I wouldn't mess with the polepieces, they are probably glued in place.
The cheapest and easiest solution to the quiet G is to use a heavier string on the G (while keeping the others your usual gauge).
You'll notice the change in tension to start with, but you'll soon get used to it.

Edited by dub