Why become a member? ×

Amp Setup.

DreadAlert

Hey guys.

Since I first got into bass I've been using a cheap noisy practice amp, and I'd like to upgrade my amp setup.

All I have right now is a little combo and I've had no experience with anything else.
What kind of setup would you recommend for about £200-£300 max. Preferably as cheap as poss.

Thanks!
-DreadAlert-

[quote name='DreadAlert' post='923403' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:30 AM']Hey guys.

Since I first got into bass I've been using a cheap noisy practice amp, and I'd like to upgrade my amp setup.

All I have right now is a little combo and I've had no experience with anything else.
What kind of setup would you recommend for about £200-£300 max. Preferably as cheap as poss.

Thanks!
-DreadAlert-[/quote]

first of all. Look 2nd hand. you'll get a better quality rig? (check the forum - you'll get alot of true advice rather than a salesman at a shop
second what bass amps have you heard that you like?
third what style do you play?

Edited by algmusic

[quote name='algmusic' post='923429' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:00 AM']first of all. Look 2nd hand. you'll get a better quality rig? (check the forum - you'll get alot of true advice rather than a salesman at a shop
third what style do you play?[/quote]

I heard some Trace Elliot amps, with seperate heads/cabs and they sounded great.

And for style, I play anything really, but mainly funk/rock.

[quote name='algmusic' post='923429' date='Aug 13 2010, 02:00 AM']first of all. Look 2nd hand. you'll get a better quality rig? (check the forum - you'll get alot of true advice rather than a salesman at a shop
third what style do you play?[/quote]

Agree with the other post, re playing style and previous experience of amps you`ve heard, being a good starting point of reference, A good all round versatile make in my view is Hartke.

Another thing to think of is the old combo v stack issue. Again, your style of music/band could have a major factor in this.

I`d definately look on the for sale section on here, there seems to always be good deals about, and for £200 - £300, you`ll be able to get something gig-worthy quite easily.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='923692' date='Aug 13 2010, 12:09 PM']Agree with the other post, re playing style and previous experience of amps you`ve heard, being a good starting point of reference, A good all round versatile make in my view is Hartke.

Another thing to think of is the old combo v stack issue. Again, your style of music/band could have a major factor in this.

I`d definately look on the for sale section on here, there seems to always be good deals about, and for £200 - £300, you`ll be able to get something gig-worthy quite easily.[/quote]

+1 to this, go used. As an example, local to me at the minute (Belfast-ish) there's a peavey tx 4x10 cab and Hartke HA3500 350 watt head second hand for a ton each (different sellers). Great gigging rig for someone on a budget like yours. Not light and probably not that easy transported, but somehow when you're younger these things aren't big problems!

I don't really mind whether it's an amp/cab or combo as long as it's affordable.

The thing that bugs me with my current amp is that it hums even when I'm not playing, and no matter what I do I can't get a nice sharp groove out of it. But that might be because I'm pretty new.

Amp = Peavey Mk IV 400 series head. Reliable, powerful with tone aplenty. Average cost = around £80 - £100, although they do sometimes come cheaper. Don't let the price give you the impression they are in any way inferior.

Speaker = peaveys, trace, ashdown (with updated cones if poss) etc

can all be done for under £200 if you choose wisely

Good hunting

T