Why become a member? ×

Shure SM57 and SM58 comparison.

badgerific

Here's a link to a video I helped make comparing the Shure SM57 and SM58 microphones for recording acoustic guitar. Should be helpful if you are purchasing a microphone to record acoustic guitar with and want to know the difference between them. There will be a comparison using electric guitar, bass guitar and a snare drum soon so feel free to subscribe if you are interested in seeing them. :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcqLy73Z8Jk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcqLy73Z8Jk[/url]

For an acoustic I tend to go with 2 condenser mics like neumanns. However on a budget I would go Rode NT1A's or the like. SM57 or SM58 wouldn't usually make the short list tbh.

Electric I'd go SM57 6 inches from the cone in the centre for a crisp sound or at the edge of the cone for a slightly warmer one.

Bass, something along the lines of a AKG D112 6 inches from cone at centre or edge as before, with possibly a sm57 for the higher freqs

Snare drum SM57 at the edge, vertical unless you want a lot of stick noise.

58's are designed for vocal use, the only time I would consider is for a particularly warm tone.

All IME ofcourse

Yeah I generally prefer the sound of condenser microphones for acoustic guitars and vocals and SM57s for snares and electric guitars.

This video is just made to show the difference between these two microphones so people can see the difference if they're interested in one but not sure which. It's intended to be aimed at people looking for a decent first microphone really rather than people with a bit more recording experience and a decent microphone collection. Thanks for you're input though. :)

I'm sure I read somewhere that the only physical difference between an SM57 and an SM58 is the exterior design, the 58 having the dome head with a little foam protection inside to cut down on wind noise etc. and to keep the sound source a larger minimum distance from the pick-up than is possible with a 57. The electronics inside are/were the same - and again, I stress this is just something I'm sure I read some time ago and may of course just be something I dreamed up! lol

[quote name='P-T-P' post='922375' date='Aug 12 2010, 09:45 AM']I'm sure I read somewhere that the only physical difference between an SM57 and an SM58 is the exterior design, the 58 having the dome head with a little foam protection inside to cut down on wind noise etc. and to keep the sound source a larger minimum distance from the pick-up than is possible with a 57. The electronics inside are/were the same - and again, I stress this is just something I'm sure I read some time ago and may of course just be something I dreamed up! lol[/quote]

Found it...

[i]"That brings up another question that comes up all the time. What’s the real difference between an SM57 and an SM58? There are actually a fair number of myths and misconceptions about what the difference really is.

"The basic difference is the grille. The other parts -- the diaphragm and voice coil combination, the magnet, the transformer that’s in the handle, the handle itself, the closing ring that surrounds the cartridge – are identical.

"In the SM58, the ball grille with the foam lining provides an extra degree of pop protection and wind protection. The SM57 has a much more compact grille arrangement that doesn’t provide nearly as much protection against blast or wind. But the basic frequency response and polar patterns are almost identical – there is only a slight difference in high frequencies where the shape of the grille starts to affect the response. But that probably doesn’t kick in until 13, 14 or 15 kHz – something like that."[/i]

From here [url="http://www.shurenotes.com/issue30/article.htm"]http://www.shurenotes.com/issue30/article.htm[/url]

[quote name='charic' post='922464' date='Aug 12 2010, 11:00 AM']Im sure there was a difference when I looked at the freq response charts for each...

Cant remember though![/quote]

Maybe that's just down to the grill & foam linings, though?

Agree that dynamic mics are better for miking cabs / drums, or screaming through at gigs. I'd go for a condenser every time for recording acoustic instruments.

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='P-T-P' post='922379' date='Aug 12 2010, 09:49 AM']Found it...

[i]"That brings up another question that comes up all the time. What’s the real difference between an SM57 and an SM58? There are actually a fair number of myths and misconceptions about what the difference really is.

"The basic difference is the grille. The other parts -- the diaphragm and voice coil combination, the magnet, the transformer that’s in the handle, the handle itself, the closing ring that surrounds the cartridge – are identical.

"In the SM58, the ball grille with the foam lining provides an extra degree of pop protection and wind protection. The SM57 has a much more compact grille arrangement that doesn’t provide nearly as much protection against blast or wind. But the basic frequency response and polar patterns are almost identical – there is only a slight difference in high frequencies where the shape of the grille starts to affect the response. But that probably doesn’t kick in until 13, 14 or 15 kHz – something like that."[/i]

From here [url="http://www.shurenotes.com/issue30/article.htm"]http://www.shurenotes.com/issue30/article.htm[/url][/quote]

I've read this, in fact it was talking about this article which prompted us to make this video, from what we found they're very similar but the 58 seems a bit warmer and the 57 has a bit more crispness to it.