Why become a member? ×

That time of year again....

JamieBenzies

Right,

Some of you may remember that I posted a thread asking for advice on the matter of auditions last year when I applied for Trinity College's jazz performance course - As I'm sure you guessed I unfortunately didn't make it in. But hey! I'm trying to remain optimistic, this time I am not quite as young and ignorant, I have more experience, skill and time to get organised.

I'm applying for the undergraduate jazz courses at Guildhall, Birmingham, Royal Welsh(Cardiff) and Trinity (again).

So, to the point - any pearls of wisdom would be hugely appreciated, just audition tips - For example; I'm not even sure how to dress most appropriately (which whether I like it or not, sadly DOES affect these first impressions). Just any useful tips would leave me indebted to you.

Thanks everyone!

Jamie

[quote name='risingson' post='919184' date='Aug 9 2010, 12:28 AM']Take it easy, remember that there will be a lot of people auditioning who think they're bigger and better than everyone else and that you don't have to be one of those people. What criteria are they specifically looking at in a prospective student?[/quote]

Potential to grow, good communication/social skills, technically able, good ear, fundamental knowledge.

I'd say that's pretty much it...

All black would probably be a good dress code... it's what most jazz musicians end up in anyway :-)

The cynical side of me suggests that succeeding at those auditions is not always purely about your musical abilities. Perhaps the most diplomatic way of exploiting those other networking type aspects would be to get a lesson or two from one of the tutors from the courses you are applying to. Even if we remain completely uncynical, who better to advise you on the best route to success?

Jennifer

Please don't take this as disrespectful - it certainly isn't intended that way, but, having failed to get in last time, are you not limiting yourself to some of the more illustrious colleges - would it not make sense to go for a couple of former Polytechnic type places that offer the right course as a fall back? My brother did a very interesting music degree - sorry, can't remember the exact course, but had plenty of Jazz and World Music elements to it, at the University of East London - sounds glamorous doesn't it :) but he really enjoyed it.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='919293' date='Aug 9 2010, 09:25 AM']Please don't take this as disrespectful - it certainly isn't intended that way, but, having failed to get in last time, are you not limiting yourself to some of the more illustrious colleges - would it not make sense to go for a couple of former Polytechnic type places that offer the right course as a fall back? My brother did a very interesting music degree - sorry, can't remember the exact course, but had plenty of Jazz and World Music elements to it, at the University of East London - sounds glamorous doesn't it :) but he really enjoyed it.[/quote]

Well I appreciate the advice, but If I'm going to land myself in £20,000 of debt and spend 4 years studying I want it to be somewhere I know I want to be.

Also the fact I didn't get in last year is not a very good indication of what will happen this year, the Trinity Jazz course only takes on one electric bass player a year. So it only required one very good player to take the spot from all of us, certain indications led me to think that I was very close to getting in - and that was then.

Sorry if that sounded ranty or patronising, I was in a hurry :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bilbo' post='919584' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:25 PM']I have an old copy of Double Bassist magazine that has an article on preparing for auditions. I will look it up and, if I can find it, will scan a copy and email it to you (or photocopy and post).[/quote]

That would be excellent thanks, my email is [email protected] . Cheers :)

[quote name='benzies123' post='919576' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:20 PM']Well I appreciate the advice, but If I'm going to land myself in £20,000 of debt and spend 4 years studying I want it to be somewhere I know I want to be.

Also the fact I didn't get in last year is not a very good indication of what will happen this year, the Trinity Jazz course only takes on one electric bass player a year. So it only required one very good player to take the spot from all of us, certain indications led me to think that I was very close to getting in - and that was then.

Sorry if that sounded ranty or patronising, I was in a hurry :)[/quote]

Ouch! Not ranty or patronising but I feel like I've hit a raw nerve - sorry! I did suggest as a back up, not as one of your first choices. Good luck with your quest, hope you get what you're looking for this time around.

[quote name='Mykesbass' post='919941' date='Aug 9 2010, 07:10 PM']Ouch! Not ranty or patronising but I feel like I've hit a raw nerve - sorry! I did suggest as a back up, not as one of your first choices. Good luck with your quest, hope you get what you're looking for this time around.[/quote]
Sorry I had just woken up (yes shortly past 1pm) and no worries it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion. Where did you study?

I think if I was going to offer any advice it would be to keep in mind that if you're going to do course like Music at uni then you're doing it for the right reasons. It's 90% for the contacts and experience and 10% for the degree. If you want to work in music for the rest of your life then you need to bear in mind that you can do it without spending the money on the degree. I went to LIPA in Liverpool and finished early because I was already a working musician and found it hard to keep up with work, plus because I already had my connections to musicians I never fully connected with my fellow course mates completely.

Don't overdo it at your audition, be frank and thorough with your answers but do something that will set you aside from the other guys that auditioning.

[quote name='risingson' post='920174' date='Aug 9 2010, 10:57 PM']I think if I was going to offer any advice it would be to keep in mind that if you're going to do course like Music at uni then you're doing it for the right reasons. It's 90% for the contacts and experience and 10% for the degree. If you want to work in music for the rest of your life then you need to bear in mind that you can do it without spending the money on the degree. I went to LIPA in Liverpool and finished early because I was already a working musician and found it hard to keep up with work, plus because I already had my connections to musicians I never fully connected with my fellow course mates completely.

Don't overdo it at your audition, be frank and thorough with your answers but do something that will set you aside from the other guys that auditioning.[/quote]

Yeah I do agree with you, but at the same time in this day and age I feel that a lot of people forget the fundamental reason we are educated - to learn. I am going more to learn then anything else, I'm sure if I really persisted I would eventually be able to join the music industry on my own accord, but the way I see it, attending a conservatoire or college would be the best way at my level to really get my abilities and musicianship up there and give me a chance of following my ambitious aspirations. Again, that wasn't meant to sound like a rant :) , just my humble opinion.

[quote name='benzies123' post='920205' date='Aug 9 2010, 11:42 PM']Yeah I do agree with you, but at the same time in this day and age I feel that a lot of people forget the fundamental reason we are educated - to learn. I am going more to learn then anything else, I'm sure if I really persisted I would eventually be able to join the music industry on my own accord, but the way I see it, attending a conservatoire or college would be the best way at my level to really get my abilities and musicianship up there and give me a chance of following my ambitious aspirations. Again, that wasn't meant to sound like a rant :) , just my humble opinion.[/quote]

I absolutely agree. As long as you're willing to work for it which it sounds like you are then it's worth doing. Good luck with the audition process.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='919584' date='Aug 9 2010, 01:25 PM']I have an old copy of Double Bassist magazine that has an article on preparing for auditions. I will look it up and, if I can find it, will scan a copy and email it to you (or photocopy and post).[/quote]
Ooh, if you do manage to find it and scan it would it be cheeky of me to ask for a copy too? Even though I ended up on a performance-based degree, that was only after defecting from a production degree after one semester. :) So I bypassed the audition process, and every one I've been to since has been a bit shaky.

Good luck with your auditions benzies! I can't offer any other advice than what's already been said - just relax and don't try to show off. Make sure you show you can do the rudimentary stuff really well, and then anything above that is a bonus I suppose?