Why become a member? ×

please recommend me a good double bass tuition book!

macclad

[quote name='macclad' post='918944' date='Aug 8 2010, 06:58 PM']Hi people ,i need a book to show me correct hand positions etc as my current technique is all over the place ,many thanks!![/quote]

Just started myself, and everyone says get the Simandl part I.

But for a great approach to the whole physical side, including positions, 'The Evolving Bassist' by Rufus Reid is terrific. Really inspiring too.

Ed Friedland has a DVD called 'Jazz upright bass' that's really good on right hand techniques (as well as a load of other stuff). He's got right hand tips in there that are really useful and I haven't seen anywhere else. For left hand, he's also great on using open strings to leap about the fingerboard.

All good clean fun :)

Edited by fatback

I agree re: Simandl and Reid but I am using a lovely couple of books by Neil Tarlton call Beginning Scales and The Essentials of Sevcik (tha latter is more bow orientated but still useful). The beginning scales book is only about 20 pages longbut it really gives you a sensible grounding in basic position playing and shifting which, for me, are the secret. My intonation has improved massively since I started with the books. They can be bought here.

[url="http://www.neiltarlton.com/"]http://www.neiltarlton.com/[/url]

Another plus one for Simandl and Reid books. Rufus Reid has also done a very good DVD to accompany his
book,also called 'The Evolving Bassist'. Ray Brown's Bass Method is a good book too.
I must check out those Neil Tarlton books-I was talking to Reggie Hamilton about doubling on electric and upright
and he recommended a couple of books to me for bowing by the principle bassist of the London Phil,only I couldn't
remember the guys name,but I think these are the ones.