Why become a member? ×

Mammothsound valve amps build thread

umph

Well as some of you may know i've been planning to start up a thing building valve amps for some time now and i've finally got the chassis and transformers done for the 100 and 200 watt amps, although the 200w output transformer turned out alot bigger that i thought it'd would so chassis layout is going to have to be redone. Also final versions of chassis's will be powder coated the one in the pictures is bare at the minute

Heres some pictures so far, output trasformer is on the right it's a little overkill but should do the job very nicely

heres some pictures of the 100watt transformers

and heres all of them with a pint glass for scale reference

more pics of progress to follow!

Edited by umph

[quote name='henry norton' post='920634' date='Aug 10 2010, 01:40 PM']So what's the specs going to be then? From the size (and type) of output tranny on the 200 I assume you're going for an ultra-clean output stage rather than a crunchy one.[/quote]

spec on 200watt tranny is actually 250watts flat 50Hz to 15kHz not sure where the -3db points are will find out after testing, frequency range is a little overkill anyway. The output stage will be in tetrode connection which doesn't run the valves as hard as UL but produces a lil more distortion and power.

This amp will do crunchy when you crank it, but it'll still do hifi if you keep the gain down. Big iron and a solid power supply are big factors in a good sounding valve amp for bass IMO

• 3 months later...