Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Pre-CBS

Chopthebass

Hi

I'm looking for a Fender expert!!
I have the chance to buy a Pre-CBS Jazz Bass with a serial number L36363 & original case. That's pretty much all I know. Can anyone tell me if that serial number seems correct for a Pre-CBS Jazz? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

Also, how do I go about getting it authenticated? I assume an expert needs to go and inspect the bass with me to verify its authenticity?

Thanks
Ian

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='102414' date='Dec 10 2007, 09:53 PM']Hi

I'm looking for a Fender expert!!
I have the chance to buy a Pre-CBS Jazz Bass with a serial number L36363 & original case. That's pretty much all I know. Can anyone tell me if that serial number seems correct for a Pre-CBS Jazz? Also, how much should I expect to pay?

Also, how do I go about getting it authenticated? I assume an expert needs to go and inspect the bass with me to verify its authenticity?

Thanks
Ian[/quote]

Fender L serial numbers appear on examples of every model and run all throughout the 1960`s,the vast majority from early 1963 through late 1965. Most L numbers signify post-1962 up through the CBS transition period. Though there are a few exceptions, most L numbers indicate production periods for all Fender models as follows:

L00186-L33650: early 1963 to 1964

L34983-L99809: 1964 to 1965

I think the manufacture date is stamped on the heel of the neck...but whether the guy will take his bass to bits for you is another story :)

Hope this helps mate.
Dave

Don't place to much (or any) faith in the neck plate. You really need to check neck heel, PUPs, POT's, paintwork, decal, tuners bridge and guard - basically everything. If you get the chance take detailed photographs and upload to the FDP - with the help of the collective knowledge there you'll have a better chance of finding `discrepancies'. Hope it's a good one.

Thanks Guys. I'm expecting some photos soon. I don't know a great deal about vintage Fenders, but I know there are variations in the logos, finishes, machineheads. I'll seek your comments again, when I get the pics, if you don't mind. I always expect the worst, and if something sounds too good to be true, then it usually is. Who keeps a Jazz bass locked away for the last 40 years? I'm hoping this is going to be one of those lucky finds! Fingers crossed.

Cheers

[quote name='Chopthebass' post='102439' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:39 PM']I'll seek your comments again, when I get the pics, if you don't mind.[/quote]

Seriously - ask at the FDP. There may well be Fender experts lurking on this forum who can advise, but there certainly are on the FDP.

[quote name='BB2000' post='102456' date='Dec 10 2007, 10:49 PM']Seriously - ask at the FDP. There may well be Fender experts lurking on this forum who can advise, but there certainly are on the FDP.[/quote]

What does the FDP stand for? Sorry, I'm a bit of a Fender novice!
Please give me as much info as poss. Many thanks, Ian

Here are some pretty low res picture of the bass. Its hard to see any detail.
The case is alleged to be original. Should a 63 jazz have block inlays?
Does the bass look right? The logo? I'll be going on the Fender Forum site, but if anyone has any comments please let me know!
Thanks, Ian

Holy flippin' crap

There's still a LOT of investigation needs to be done, but cosmetically it looks spot on from the little I can make out.

Logo is fine, pickguard looks original, tuners look OK... like I say, this is only the tip of the iceberg though.

If this is original, you're looking at £shedloads.

[quote name='Sibob' post='102861' date='Dec 11 2007, 07:44 PM']I would say 2 £shedloads!!

Unless the guy doesn't know what he's got, which might perhaps be the case if its been in the cupboard for 40 years, but that really is to good to be true!

Good luck
Si[/quote]

Hi Si.
I'm thinking the same thing. Still you never know. Its not unheard of for these finds cropping up. Fingers crossed!

Ian

Apparently this bass has been for sale for a few months and has appeared for sale in Barking and Amsterdam. At this bargain price it should have sold ages ago. I guess its someone trying some brainless scam with possible pics of someone elses bass? Its funny how communication ceased when I mentioned about getting the bass inspected and authenticated!

Bugger.