Why become a member? ×

Warwick Profet 3.2

The Shrek

Hey guys anyone else have one of these amps. I bought it brand new as a cheapish back up. It dont matter whether i use a single 8 ohm cab or both my 8 ohm cabs it just has no puff at all. With the 2 cabs running the amp at 4 ohms it supposed to put out 300W but OH my God it is feeble, even with the gain turned way up above normal!

Michael

[quote name='The Shrek' post='913058' date='Aug 2 2010, 06:17 PM']Hey guys anyone else have one of these amps. I bought it brand new as a cheapish back up. It dont matter whether i use a single 8 ohm cab or both my 8 ohm cabs it just has no puff at all. With the 2 cabs running the amp at 4 ohms it supposed to put out 300W but OH my God it is feeble, even with the gain turned way up above normal!

Michael[/quote]

Yup, it was my first "real" amp. And yes, mine ran out of puff, even at 4ohm. The Ashdown EB180 in the rehearsal room was louder than the 3.2 and matching 410 :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='913093' date='Aug 2 2010, 07:09 PM']You know that amps arn't really responsible for how loud the end result is, and that it's really more down to how sensitive your speakers are yeah?

Just sayin'.[/quote]

Valid point, but with all things equal those are a 'quiet' amp, given their rated wattage.

I have the 5.1 but I run it with one 211Pro which is a louder cabinet than the 410!

I suspect it is either a gain structure, EQ, or Speaker issue.

I've cut and pasted this from the warwick forum:

[quote]I've giged a room of 300+ people with no PA support with my Pro FET 3.2 and 2 x 211 Pro cabs no problem

The gain and master volume structure "problem" is well documented here. They aren't an underpowered head - but the way the gain structure and the master volume curve works leads many people to believe that they are.

This is why they redesigned the gain and volume curves on the new Pro FET 3.3 and 5.2 heads. They seem much louder, but they're not really - just that the volume comes in earlier.

So - there are two things with your 3.2 that can help you get the most out of it:

Firstly - the gain. Don't worry too much about the clip LED. It does come on prematurely. What you need to do is play with it a bit, and find where you actually can hear some audible clipping rather than relying on the clip light. It's normal with these heads to see the clip light quite active when the gain is set properly. That is - adjust the gain past the point where the light comes on, but if you hear some audible clipping (very easy to hear when it does happen) pull it back a little. You can go quite a long way past the clip LED before actual clipping occurs.

Secondly - the master volume dial uses a linear taper pot, rather than the new reverse logarithmic pot used in the 3.3 and 5.2 heads (and also what most other manufacturers do). What this means is that at halfway on the dial with your Pro FET 3.2, you are actually seeing half of the amp's power. With the new 3.3 and 5.2 heads, at halfway on the master volume dial, you are seeing more like 85% of the amps power. What this all means is that you can safely push the master volume dial on your Pro FET 3.2 further to get the full usage out of your head, and you'll notice a volume increase much further around the dial than the newer 3.3 head.

So - don't be afraid to push the gain (listen for clipping rather than relying on the clip LED), and remember that you can use a much wider sweep on the master volume dial to get the equivalent of "halfway" (which really means 85-90%) on the 3.3, 5.2 and most other manufacturers amps.

Play with these settings and I'm sure that you will find that the 3.2 isn't underpowered, and actually can be a very loud head.[/quote]

Unsure of the exact model,, (sonic2, perhaps) I had,, looked identical to this tho and 300w,,,, used it with a marshal cab and it was sweet,,,,, kicked ass in fact,,,

The Warwick blog says it can cover a loud drummer,,, so dunno if you have a problem somewhere??