Why become a member? ×

Looking for portable cabinet...TC RS210/212?

faceman

Afternoon folks,

I'm on the look out for a more portable cabinet. My past two have been an Ampeg SVT-15E (currently for sale!) and an Ampeg MAG 4x10, both of which were very large and heavy to lump around. However, I'm moving to London in September and want something far more portable. Not that I'm planning to lump it around the tube but something that is easier and lighter.

The only requirements are that it isn't too heavy and can cope with small-medium gigs on its own, as most of the gigs I do don't bother with PA support for the instruments. I've been looking around but all the light-weight ones aren't in my price range. I've seen the TC Electronics ones and they seem to be good value for money. The RS212 for sale I'm strongly considering but I was wondering how it will cope on its own, as most pair it with a RS210...which would be better for just one amp? Obviously in the future I could add a second one if required.

Will be running through a Little Mark II head.

[quote name='faceman' post='910165' date='Jul 30 2010, 12:30 PM']Afternoon folks,

I'm on the look out for a more portable cabinet. My past two have been an Ampeg SVT-15E (currently for sale!) and an Ampeg MAG 4x10, both of which were very large and heavy to lump around. However, I'm moving to London in September and want something far more portable. Not that I'm planning to lump it around the tube but something that is easier and lighter.

The only requirements are that it isn't too heavy and can cope with small-medium gigs on its own, as most of the gigs I do don't bother with PA support for the instruments. I've been looking around but all the light-weight ones aren't in my price range. I've seen the TC Electronics ones and they seem to be good value for money. The RS212 for sale I'm strongly considering but I was wondering how it will cope on its own, as most pair it with a RS210...which would be better for just one amp? Obviously in the future I could add a second one if required.

Will be running through a Little Mark II head.

Those cabs work well with the MB amps. KJung on Talkbass did a comparison video and he rated the RS210 with MB very well. Obviously they also work well with the RH450.

Description: RS210 - Tight, punchy, full mids, sweet high end. VERY easy to move around, great price, and I have done rehearsals with just one no problem.

RS212 - Fuller in the low mids and lots of low end should you want it. Quite a 'chewy' typical 12s sound, with again a nice sweet high end. A louder cabinet, a little larger front to back, but still quite light and probably a 'fuller' one cab solution. Will handle gigs NO problem.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='910195' date='Jul 30 2010, 12:53 PM']Those cabs work well with the MB amps. KJung on Talkbass did a comparison video and he rated the RS210 with MB very well. Obviously they also work well with the RH450.

Description: RS210 - Tight, punchy, full mids, sweet high end. VERY easy to move around, great price, and I have done rehearsals with just one no problem.

RS212 - Fuller in the low mids and lots of low end should you want it. Quite a 'chewy' typical 12s sound, with again a nice sweet high end. A louder cabinet, a little larger front to back, but still quite light and probably a 'fuller' one cab solution. Will handle gigs NO problem.[/quote]

Thanks for quick response mate, this is what I guessed! I was thinking of trying to pick up this RS212 and then get an RS210 in the future if I need more power. 22kg is much better than the 32kg of my SVT-15E. I might also reach the 'Bass in one hand, amp on back and cabinet in the other hand' ultimate gigging dream...

I don't know about this particular cab, but, IMV, 2x12's are typically enough for most needs, unless stupid loud.

I have 2 single 12's..for the ease of carry and load, rather than design, and I can't think of a situation where they would run out of steam.
I have done outside gigs with no PA support and they easily coped with a full and powerful band there so can't imagine how big a room you would have to have to outrun them.

If the 212 can run at 5-600watts, then they can be that one cab solution, IMV.

My amp is rated 400w

[quote name='JTUK' post='911345' date='Jul 31 2010, 04:43 PM']If the 212 can run at 5-600watts, then they can be that one cab solution, IMV.

My amp is rated 400w[/quote]

Excellent, seems I made the right choice. Can't wait for it to come next week. The RS212 is rated at 400W but my Little Mark II is only rated for 300W for 8 ohms so it's not reaching 5-600W but I can never imagine needing that much power!