Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Klystron 1000

3V17C

Should have one of these arriving today!! Bit of a change for me as I normally use rack stuff but i was in need of something new and fancied a change (also I had an ABM 900 before and liked it alot!)

Quick question though - the Klystron 1000 has 2 power amps (each 575 watts @ 4 ohms) - I'm guessing its fine to just use one power stage with two 8 ohm cabs (thus making 4 ohms) and leaving the other power stage unconnected will be fine?

cheers

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='908906' date='Jul 29 2010, 04:18 AM']I'm guessing its fine to just use one power stage with two 8 ohm cabs (thus making 4 ohms) and leaving the other power stage unconnected will be fine?[/quote]
I'd run a cab with each amp. That way the current load is shared by both power amps rather than being a burden to only one.

[quote name='3V17C' post='909247' date='Jul 29 2010, 02:02 PM']yeah could do that.. was just thinking that i won't get the full 575watts then though with an 8ohm cab on each ?....[/quote]

No, but you will likely get out more power overall using one amp per cab. Also, as previously mentioned, this way each amp shares the load, reducing the demand on each output stage and thus increasing reliability, etc.

hmm.. seems increased reliability is not this amps strong point! it turned up today... went to try it out and .....dead. nothing... checked the fuse and although it looked fine i replaced it... ta da! amp worked fine! til i turned it off and on again... then .. dead again!! again the fuse looked fine but i changed it once again but this time to no avail.... one dead amp.

not best pleased - admittedly it was secondhand but its in immaculate condition, still with original box etc and came from a dealer. i've got a rehearsal tonight and important gig tomorrow and the reason i bought this is because my current rig is being slightly temperamental.

dealer is being fine about it and getting it picked up again tomorrow for his repair guy to look at, but that doesn't help my gig situation, and of course the whole point of buying the amp was to get something newer and more reliable than my current stuff. even if this gets fixed now i'll worry about it conking out in the future. who knows when it'll die again!? really quite pee-ed off :-(

bah.

c

[quote name='Machines' post='909507' date='Jul 29 2010, 01:16 PM']You bought an Ashdown for something more reliable ? Hahahaha... think of Ashdown as the bass equivalent of Alfa Romeo.[/quote]
Does Alfa use Lucas Lighting? :)
In college we always bought MGs in pairs. One to drive, one for the shop.

[quote name='Machines' post='909507' date='Jul 29 2010, 06:16 PM']You bought an Ashdown for something more reliable ? Hahahaha... think of Ashdown as the bass equivalent of Alfa Romeo.[/quote]
Easier to sell but not as easy to torch & claim on insurance for.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='909576' date='Jul 29 2010, 07:49 PM']Does Alfa use Lucas Lighting? :)[/quote]
Yup.

EDIT: Liking your book Bill :rolleyes:

Edited by johnnylager

[quote name='3V17C' post='909495' date='Jul 29 2010, 05:56 PM']hmm.. seems increased reliability is not this amps strong point! it turned up today... went to try it out and .....dead. nothing... checked the fuse and although it looked fine i replaced it... ta da! amp worked fine! til i turned it off and on again... then .. dead again!! again the fuse looked fine but i changed it once again but this time to no avail.... one dead amp.

not best pleased - admittedly it was secondhand but its in immaculate condition, still with original box etc and came from a dealer. i've got a rehearsal tonight and important gig tomorrow and the reason i bought this is because my current rig is being slightly temperamental.

dealer is being fine about it and getting it picked up again tomorrow for his repair guy to look at, but that doesn't help my gig situation, and of course the whole point of buying the amp was to get something newer and more reliable than my current stuff. even if this gets fixed now i'll worry about it conking out in the future. who knows when it'll die again!? really quite pee-ed off :-(

bah.

c[/quote]

Putting a fast blow fuse in a time delay fuse slot?