Why become a member? ×

me and my big mouth

beerdragon

When i got to practise the other night(a bit late) the rest of the band were messing about with Maggie may, thats sound good i said, can we do that one then, ok said our guitarist but the bass is all over the place. it sounded more like a challenge than a statement, i have had a listen to the track and it is a bit of a challenge(for me at any rate) and i have it on guitar pro, so its down to a bit of hard work. anyone else play the Rod Stewart song?.

Edited by beerdragon

[quote name='beerdragon' post='101378' date='Dec 8 2007, 03:05 PM']When i got to practise the other night(a bit late) the rest of the band were messing about with Maggie may, thats sound good i said, can we do that one then, ok said our guitarist but the bass is all over the place. it sounded more like a challenge than a statement, i have had a listen to the track and it is a bit of a challenge(for me at any rate) and i have it on guitar pro, so its down to a bit of hard work. anyone else play the Rod Stewart song?.[/quote]

Yeh we do that one. I've adapted the bass line to suit me, cos the original is all over the place...with lots of mistakes if you listen carefully!

Great song which always goes down well at gigs.

[quote name='outsider70' post='101397' date='Dec 8 2007, 03:53 PM']Yeh we do that one. I've adapted the bass line to suit me, cos the original is all over the place...with lots of mistakes if you listen carefully!

Great song which always goes down well at gigs.[/quote]

We used to do it in my last band, and as Outsider says it always went down really well.

Yeah i'll think i will do my own thing to it and hope our guitarist thinks its ok, he's a fussy basstid,
i thought it was ronnie lane on bass, i know ron wood played bass with Jeff beck on Beckola.
[url="http://www.guitarzone.com/w/AlbumReview:Beck"]http://www.guitarzone.com/w/AlbumReview:Beck[/url] Ola .

[quote name='chris_b' post='101404' date='Dec 8 2007, 04:14 PM']That's Ronnie Wood playing lead bass, probably after a few brandies as well. If I was playing Maggie May I wouldn't put any of that stuff in. A much simpler bass line would be far better.[/quote]

Sorry fellas. Gotta disagree.

I think the charm of the song (and the bassline) is that it is so "loose" but absolutely genius in it's chaos. It effortlessly "oozes" swagger as it's being sung by a laddy half cut cocky good looking red-blooded scot with a band of equally p*ssed other blokes but there's a feeling of artistic abandon which is so endearing! Fair play to them, lets face it, if I had half the talent/wealth/good looks as Rod had then, I'd still give it all up to write half as good a tune.

Agreed. Ronnie doesn't play it like a "proper" bass player. He overplays and drops a couple of enormous fluffs but it just "works" because it fits the song perfectly. That's exactly who Ronnie is and that's why we all love him.

Putting on my flame proof pants now :)

T

Edited by tonyf