Why become a member? ×

carbon fibre goodness

rmshaw37

hi there, i'm a carbon fibre and composites laminator, and so know the best stuff when i see it!

my question to you lot is..........

would any of you want a carbon firbe pickguard/ cavity cover/ or what? anything is possible, just the flat bits cut the costs DRAMATICALLY

let me know your opinion and also if you want anything knocking up! (bear in mind that REAL carbon doesn't just come in black)

just delving into it atm but i'd assume prices would be around £40 for a jazz size and £50 for p style!

genuine carbon fibre remember lol

cheers all!

I'm very interested mate, my brother plays with carbon fiber all time with his car, the real stuff looks the business.

Always thought of doing it myself but I'd struggle with the pickup routes.

You could do neck plates, pickup covers, pickup surrounds, truss rod covers, pickup casing, jack plates, erm? I think that just about covers it.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='samuel' post='907535' date='Jul 27 2010, 08:13 PM']hi mate, would be very interested a pickgaurd for a fender jazz, drop me a pm

thanks[/quote]

Me too. I like a black PG on my MIA Jazz but i would welcome something a bit classier and not as shiny.

[quote name='rmshaw37' post='908594' date='Jul 28 2010, 08:02 PM']right i'll get on with the making of the first sheet, i'll pm those interested when its knocked up. i have a squire affinity jazz pickguard for shape, will that be the same shape on other jazzes? or would i need to get a template off each?[/quote]

Well i have a PG thats come off my MIA i could send you to use as a template if it helps. I would need it back but in no rush.

One thing to be aware of is some basses have the trussrod adjustment at the body end of the neck so the PG would need a cut out for that.
My MIA is like that but my CVJ isnt.

Edited by dave_bass5