Why become a member? ×

Soft Bass Case

TomTom

Im currently in the process of aquiring a Fender Jazz, and when it arrives, im gonna need something a little more substanial that a gig bag to keep it in.

I like the look of the soft cases, and have found a couple that seem reasonably priced:

[url="http://www.dv247.com/cases/gator-gl-bass-lightweight-bass-guitar-case--34870"]http://www.dv247.com/cases/gator-gl-bass-l...tar-case--34870[/url]
[url="http://www.dv247.com/cases/skb-1-skb-sc44-rectangular-bass-soft-case--42261"]http://www.dv247.com/cases/skb-1-skb-sc44-...oft-case--42261[/url]

Just wondering what peoples opinions of these two are, and if there are any alternatives people would suggest.

Thanks, Tom.

I've got three of the Stagg equivalent ones which i use for gigs further afield when the basses go in a van or trailer. They offer a lot of protection and are reasonably light, and mine have taken quite a lot of stick over the course of the three or four years i've had them. That SKB looks a bit of a bargain.....

• 4 weeks later...

I ordered the SKB just now - I'll report back when it gets here and I have had a chance to use it. I bought it to replace my hard cases, which, although they provide excellent protection, are just too heavy to be practical right now. I take my bass to practice by bus/train/foot.

They are a good option but i still find a shaped gig bag to be easier to travel with on the tubes/busses as i can put it between my legs when seated.

I was very tempted to get the SKB one over the Gator. I went for the Gator as it has a full length shoulder strap rather than back pack type straps that i never use. unfortunately its a bit impractical to carry wit hot over one shoulder.

I look forward to your views on the SKB.

Aha, but having moved from London to Sweden, I find I no longer need to put the case between my legs on buses. In fact, on the train in the morning, I usually have a couple of spare seats next to me for the case. I do live in a small town outside the middle of nowhere, though.

Review coming "soon". It will take a week to get here, and it will be used on Mondays and Saturdays...so about two weeks, then.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='944646' date='Sep 3 2010, 03:43 PM']I've both considered and rejected the Gator version! I need one with shoulder straps, and the Gator one only has the one strap. I can't recall any more reasons, but I remember saying to myself that it was the SKB or nothing.[/quote]

Yeah, my reasoning was the same, although i went for the one shoulder strap over the rucksack type of straps.

Now it sits in a box unused.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now had the SKB case for a week or so.

The very first thing I noticed was that carrying a bass on your back is a whole lot easier than carrying it in a case in your hand. My bass plus case was 10kg and it put a tremendous strain on my hands and arms, especially as the case was not the most ergonomic ever designed. The ability to carry such a weight on my back has made the SKB worth it already.

As for the bag itself, it seems solid. I have had my Ibanez SR1205 in there (it also fits the SR1206, but these are not as large as standard six strings, so you might want to check first) and the case has protected it perfectly - the bass still arrives in tune, suggesting that there have been no knocks to the headstock.

Having a case on your back is a little strange, though. Walking is fine, but the bottom of the case is too low to allow running of any kind, so make sure you get to the bus or train with good time, as a quick dash is out of the question. You could, of course, take the case off your back and hold the padded handle, but as it is in the centre of the bag, the weight is not distributed all that well. Really, this case is only good for carrying your bass on your back.

The big test came yesterday, when I had to endure a six minute walk to the station in heavy rain. The case is not advertised as waterproof, but my precious was dry when I reached my destination after a further 8 minutes in lighter rain.

Totally recommended.