Why become a member? ×

Mark King Interview on Ultimate Guitar

El Bajo

Not a fan of level 42 but its a decent interview and even mentions bass which is rare for a Guitar site:

[url="http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/mark_king_an_album_is_a_fantastic_diary.html"]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/...stic_diary.html[/url]

Enjoy.

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='907147' date='Jul 27 2010, 02:41 PM']Interesting enough piece, thanks for the link. Strange no mention of the Jaydees that he used for so long, or do you think there was a bit of brand promo going on there?[/quote]

I think in the grand scheme of things, Mark didn't really use Jaydee that long - they practically vanished after 1988 when he got his hands on his Alembics, supplementing the Status basses he had. I think it's just because Mark used them a lot back when the band were getting bigger and bigger and so many people remember that. If you look, the basses Mark has used longest continually would appear to be his Status basses post millenium, I think he's played them exclusively for ten years now after coming from those slightly iffy Jazz basses and GB basses (which just never sounded too good IMO).

Nice to see "Return of the handsome rugged man" mentioned, I love that track. Really good interview too, Mark is as humble as always! If anything though, it just makes me think - will there ever be another bassist who has as much cool as Mark King? I don't know. When I think of bass playing glory, it's always with a high tech Mark King-esque bass slung high on a short strap, rattling out machine gun slap lines over a fusion drummer and a supportivev synth player.

For me it will always be the appearance of Mark King on The Tube, playing the solo slap piece, that started people talking about him, and that bass he played was a Jaydee.

From then on, I remember stocking those basses in our shop and selling every one quickly. The problems came when Diggins produced a batch of basses (metallic finish, as I recall), and the lacquer or paint was faulty, causing him to recall them. Apparently, it almost bankrupted him at the time.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='907788' date='Jul 28 2010, 02:21 AM']I think in the grand scheme of things, Mark didn't really use Jaydee that long - they practically vanished after 1988 when he got his hands on his Alembics, supplementing the Status basses he had. I think it's just because Mark used them a lot back when the band were getting bigger and bigger and so many people remember that. If you look, the basses Mark has used longest continually would appear to be his Status basses post millenium, I think he's played them exclusively for ten years now after coming from those slightly iffy Jazz basses and GB basses (which just never sounded too good IMO).[/quote]
Thanks for the update, didn't know much of that.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='907788' date='Jul 28 2010, 06:16 AM']For me it will always be the appearance of Mark King on The Tube, playing the solo slap piece, that started people talking about him, and that bass he played was a Jaydee.
From then on, I remember stocking those basses in our shop and selling every one quickly. The problems came when Diggins produced a batch of basses (metallic finish, as I recall), and the lacquer or paint was faulty, causing him to recall them. Apparently, it almost bankrupted him at the time.[/quote]
I 'met" Mark King once, totally star-struck & barely uttered a word (Me, not him :) ). He came into JayDee's workshop when I was in collecting a John Birch bass John had rewired for me. JD told me I should have gone in the day before, I'd have met Tony Iommi.

A couple of years ago Mark King was a guest in a Belgian Summer tour with a Belgian backing band for Martin Fry (ABC) and Sister Sledge. They did four or five concerts and one day Mark was a bit late for the soundcheck so the Belgian bassplayer had to soundcheck Mark's basses.
Roberto Mercurio knows all these Level 42-licks so he started playing Mark's bass but meanwhile Mark showed up.
Roberto said it was a weird moment to play in front of the person you've learned lines from but Mark put him at ease, laughed and said "Great man, you're doing a better job than me !".
A friend of mine did backings and suggested that I should meet Mark and come backstage but I didn't feel the need. I am really fond of his playing and I know how he changed bass but I don't need to tell him.
I remember hearing "Love Games" on Belgian radio and it was a bomb, never heard anything like it.
I bought the album without really knowing anything about the band and then someone said : "the bassplayer also sings in case you didn't know"... It made it even more unreal.
I've seen them around 15 times live and I've never been disappointed (except for that one concert when they had become really succesful over here and had to play in big halls where the sound of the bass was just terrible).

We used to rehearse at a place called the Warehouse in Hoxton back in the 80's. On a few occasions L42 were in the room before us and even though they were on the way up they seemed really nice, down to earth guys.

I also remember Mark being on the Tube and being very impressed (i was playing keyboards back then). He has never been an influence, but i can appreciate his talent.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' post='910617' date='Jul 30 2010, 08:10 PM']I was just wondering if someone else on the forum had set up the profile as a joke or something?[/quote]

The usual Off Topic nonsense!

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96559"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96559[/url]