Why become a member? ×

Faint buzzing, but not fret buzz

Marvin

I noticed last night, after unplugging my bass and playing acoustically, that when I pluck the strings I'm getting a, albeit [u]very[/u] quite, buzz. I put my ear to the body of my bass and it sounds like the strings are making something resonate, but I can't work out what. It does it on open and fretted notes and definitely isn't fret buzz. It doesn't seem to be getting picked up when playing through an amp.

Pickup adjustment springs perhaps? Happens on one of mine and its a bit annoying as I don't want to take the electronics apart and tighten everything. SOmetimes happens on P basses too when the saddle adjustment springs loose thgeir springiness and start to resonate in sympathy with lower notes.

Thanks Clarky. I stuck my ear to the back of the bass last night and it could be emanating from the pick-up springs, I lowered the bridge pick-up recently and I suppose it may be a case that it's buzzing sympathetically. I don't think it's the bridge but I couldn't say for sure. I was worried it might be the truss rod but I'm probably getting into one of my nervous flaps.

When I had the truss rod buzz on an ex-bass (a Rickenbacker) it was certainly not faint or quiet and very obviously was emanating from within the neck. So it doesn't sound like that is the problem. More than likely a loose spring or wire that budged when you adjusted the pickup.

Just got home, and no it can't be the truss rod, your right it must be a spring or other small part in the body as that's where it's coming from. TBH it's barely audible and it's just me wanting everything perfect. New rule, don't play acoustically at 11pm when you can hear a pin drop :)
Thanks mate, put my mind to rest.
Cheers

Does it happen on all frequencies or just on certain notes? I used to have a Fender copy where the E-string machine head ear vibrated when I played a G - took me ages to pin that one down. Drop of superglue sorted it right out.

A

Quite often the screws that control bridge hight can buzz if they aren't making contact with bass plate. On bridges with two screws per string if one is left loose it can buzz, just tighten it a bit ubtil it makes contact with the bass plate, if you stop just as it touches it won't affect the action.

It's definitely coming from the body, and I think Clarky is right, it may even be something in the battery compartment. TBH I think I'm probably the only one who notices it :rolleyes:

I've checked for bees and none were found SP :) :lol: thanks for the suggestion.