Why become a member? ×

Garry Beers of INXS - selling his basses

99ster

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='900079' date='Jul 20 2010, 02:30 PM']that Plexi Precision is mega. I'd own that in a hearbeat - Charlie Jones used one of thesewith Page and Plant, as well as Goldfrapp, think his wa a Nightingale though, rather than Fender.

I now wan't a Plexi Precision Bass.[/quote]

Charlie Jones' plexi P Bass was custom made for him by [url="http://www.crimsonguitars.co.uk"]Crimson Guitars[/url] - I think you can buy them as 'Signature' model from Crimson

The Charlie Jones bass is by [url="http://www.crimsonguitars.com/"]Crimson Guitars[/url]. From a distance it looks fantastic as it's got glitter embedded in the perspex. However close-up it's not so nice looking as you can see all the non-polished surfaces for the wiring, truss-rods, frets etc which wasn't particularly pretty. Also weighed a ton and had a chunkier neck than my 60s truss-rodless Burns bass! Great for a video or photoshoot, but I wouldn't want to play a whole gig with that.

Actually just had a look at the Crimson Guitars site and the Charlie Jones bass pictured there isn't the same as the version I played at the LGS, as it has a more normal wooden neck and fingerboard. Doesn't look as fantastic, but probably plays better.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Linus27' post='900037' date='Jul 20 2010, 02:00 PM']Bugger, one of my favourite bassists. Not sure I should look. I remember he had a gorgeous deep red/black sunburts precision that he played a lot around the mid 80's. I must resist looking :)[/quote]

That sounds like the '72 P bass that's up for sale....
:rolleyes:

Re; Charlie Jones Looks like he has 2 perspex basses...

The one in the Ashdown photo is the Nightingale, don't like the look of the Crimson Guitars one...

Has anyone got the copy of Bassist magazine from about 98 with him on the cover to prove i'm not mad?

EDIT - The Ashdown photo Zooms enough to see the logo on the headstock, phew.

Edited by AndyTravis