Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strings

Pete Academy

[quote name='Davo-London' post='900919' date='Jul 21 2010, 01:17 PM']I've been playing for 32 years and have found MY STRING. I'm not suggesting that anyone else should use them - no I'm just glad that after 30 years of trying different strings I have found the string that totally suits me and gets the tone and feel I'm after. I love them so much they are on my fretted and fretless electric basses. Yum Yum.

Davo[/quote]

Er, what are they then, Davo? :)

I used DR for several years before got tired and bored with them. Mine was usually fat beams (MM signature) but I liked low rider nickels as they get along fine with Precision pickups.
nowadays I am on GHS boomers rounds (nickel) and La Bella orig.1954 (jamerson set) and TI flats. La bella is the best I ever had and TI are also sweet - very light,soft and punchy!

D'Addario EXL (Nickel) are my favourite. PMT wanted £35 for a 5 string set - I remember buying some online for £15 a couple of years ago (same website now £20) ! Oddly I didn't take the plunge in PMT.

Rotos i've also decided I hate, they may have some big name endorsees - but they don't have to pay for a new set when they go dead after a couple of weeks do they ?

I put some Warwick Reds (the cheap ones) on my Fender Jazz, and to be honest - they're actually pretty good. I think they were £11 for a set, can't argue with that.

I wish I were in the position to try lots of different strings, but they're too expensive to try out so I stick with what I know.

I went through a period of trying every kind of string I could get my hands on in search of something that kept its initial zing longer than one gig. Had little success with most, including DR High Beams, which didn't seem like anything special to me. Eventually settled on D'Addario nickel XL's, which I've been using for quite a while now. Also tried the D'Addario stainless ones, didn't seem to offer much improvement, so I'm back on the nickels. The only others I liked were called Skull strings, but I've struggled to find any more.

Edited by Deep Thought

As far as rotosound roundwounds are concerned if you want to get the zing back loosen the strings until they are slack - leave for a day - then tune them up again - the zing is back.

I like ernie balls for their consistancy but rotos on a Jazz is the sound I hear in my head when I think 'Jazz Bass'.

Although I haven't tried DRs yet.......

Edited by gjones