Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Before I make the plunge ...

Linus27

Been after a decent fretless for a while but have struggled to find what I would like. It then struck me about having my nicest sounding bass, my ESP 400 Series Jazz made fretless. I don't want to de-fret it as it is very rare and I don't want anything go wrong with the original neck. So I have decided to have one made by Jon Shuker.

Before I make the plunge, is this really a wise move? Any pitfalls I should know about or be aware off? Jon will be getting the bass so he can match the existing neck and ensure it fits the body perfectly. Am I doing the right thing or would it be better to buy a proper fretless bass?

Hi mate

Knowing the story behind the bass and having played it, I would say go for it. If it doesn't work out you've not done anything to it that can be undone.

Given the way it sounds though (easily the best Jazz I've heard) I think you wouldn't be able to buy a better one. More importantly, you'll use it a lot more than in it's current configuration so you'll make your Old Man happy too :)

Sounds like a great idea to me, especially as you have written on several occasions how your ESP just "fits" you. Its actually a much lower risk than buying a new bass as you will be completely familiar with the body/sound/right hand placement etc and John Shuker is a craftsman. The only way this could be a mistake is if he or you somehow compromise the existing bass or its neck (eg, damage the neck pocket) which I am assuming will not happen. Go for it!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='897541' date='Jul 17 2010, 08:04 PM']Hi mate

Knowing the story behind the bass and having played it, I would say go for it. If it doesn't work out you've not done anything to it that can be undone.

Given the way it sounds though (easily the best Jazz I've heard) I think you wouldn't be able to buy a better one. More importantly, you'll use it a lot more than in it's current configuration so you'll make your Old Man happy too :)[/quote]

Cheers Nick and yes you are spot on. I am currently recording an album, mostly with fretless so as you say, it would get used a hell of a lot more than its current configuration. At the moment, I just have no use for it fretted.

Thanks mate for the advice. We must hook up again soon, either at a gig or for a coffee and a chat.

Edited by Linus27

[quote name='molan' post='897556' date='Jul 17 2010, 08:18 PM']Are you just getting a neck to fit the existing body or a complete new bass?[/quote]

Yes just a neck. Jon Shuker will get the whole bass and will then make me a fretless neck, based on my existing neck but fretless. He'll get the whole bass so he can get the new neck to fit the body.

[quote name='molan' post='897594' date='Jul 17 2010, 08:47 PM']Sorry - reason for asking was that I thought you might be better off getting a complete replica made so you'd have both a fretless and fretted version?[/quote]

No worries asking. Nick hit the nail on the head, despite being an awsome sounding bass, I don't really play it as I use my other fretted basses more. However, I am lacking a really decent fretless and as a lot of my early fretless stuff was written on this bass, it seems logical to get it convert. It's unlikley I would convert it back to fretted as I would use my other fretted basses first. Plus, if I do convert it, its only really going to be studio based. So I don't really have a need for a complete replica despite being a really nice idea :)