Why become a member? ×

Trying a bass

2wheeler

Most people seem to recommend trying out any bass before you buy it. And that kind of makes sense to me. But...

I have read various articles and book chapters on buying and trying out basses but they all leave me with questions. I know that you can rule out a neck that doesn't feel right or a bass that looks wrong or balances awkwardly but how can you really get any idea about the following:

[list]
[*]what it is going to sound like through your own combo
[*]what it is going to sound like through other amps and PAs
[*]what it will feel like when you have tweaked the set-up (or maybe had it professionally set-up to your requirements)
[*]what it will be like with your preferred strings
[*]what it will sound like when you are more accustomed to it
[/list]

So far I have bought two basses (ever). Both were posted to me without having tried them out. Both were really good value for money but both were substantially different before and after restringing and set-up. And because I am still a beginner, my playing style is still evolving (and improving, I hope) and both basses sounded substantially different as I got used to them and worked out how they seemed to do best.

I wonder if I would be better off just buying according to recommendations/reviews and hunting around for the best on-line price?

Well, there's quite a few variables there but here's my take:

1) If you can't get to a shop that stocks your combo or it's discontinued, take your own along. Probably best to call first though.
2) Ask to try it through other combos. What it will sound like through a PA is anyone's guess - it's not just due to the variability of the combination of different PA's and rooms, but your sound is pretty much in the hands of the engineer as well.
3) Never assume that it's going to be better with a set up - it might be playing as well as it's ever going to.
4) Unless you use flats it probably won't sound substantially different (assuming the strings are in good nick). The basic character of the bass will still be there, though it's likely you can find another set you'll prefer more. It's worth bearing in mind that more expensive basses are more likely to come with decent strings anyway.
5) It'll sound exactly the same when you're used to it. Your expectations or tastes may change, but then none us know what we'll want in a few years time.

Buying online can be a bit of a pig-in-a-poke, especially if you're looking at cheaper basses where quality control might not be great. On the other hand, if you buy carefully second hand off ebay, you could reasonably expect to sell it on without without making a loss if you decide you don't like it.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

I'm also a relative beginner and have similar issues at the moment. Call me old fashionned, but I'm not keen on ordering a £400 bass online without playing it first. I think that the less you pay, the greater the variance in build quality. I'd hate to get stuck with a "Friday afternoon" bass.

For that reson, I'll probably buy my next bass from a shop. I appreciate I'll pay more with less choice, but I'll also be confident that I like the actual bass that I'm purchasing. Also, reviews are very subjective. Otherwise we'd all be playing the same bass.

I also like to think that by not buying online I'm helping to keep stores trading. My local music shop has been a great source of advice and I'd hate to lose that.

In regards to the questions about prefered combos/amps/strings, I think you have to take the plunge to some degree. You never know, the shop my be able to replicate your home/stage set up pretty well.

Also, if you already have a well defined sound, and you've settled on your effects, pre-amps, amps and cabs then my guess is that you'll already know exactly what you are looking for in a bass

I'm still in my first year of playing and am working with what suits me today, I was fairly indifferent about Trace stuff and only bought the gear because I got it at a damn good price but when I plugged my bass in it sounded sooooooooo sweet I've not dared alter the eq settings as yet

I realise that I have a lot to learn and my sound will change as I learn more about it and can develop the ability to do something about it, the main thing that matters to me at the moment in having a bass that fits like a glove such that I can play it rather than wrestle with it :)

When I started there was no choice - you had to try before you buy because there was no mail order/internet.

Its a simple choice - buy the cheapest sh*t you can get on ebay or buy something from a shop. But shops cant afford to get stuff set up properly because of competition from mail order/internet. It is a vicious circle.

Try lots of basses!

Try them all. Even if they cost four times your budget.
Even if you've no intention of purchasing there and then (music shops hate me!!)
You'll soon build up a set of preferences.

Buy with your hands and your ears before your head or your heart and keep an open mind.

Have you a friend who plays? Take them! A second opinion can be helpful, especially if they're experienced.
They do need to remember that the bass is for you, though!

If a bass feels and sounds good in a shop environment, a good set-up (Learn to do it yourself, so you can tailor your instrument to you) and your favoured strings will only make it better.

With regard to amplification, a degree of familiarity can be beneficial, but if you can't get something you know, try your shortlisted instruments through several amps/ combos. (I hate buying amps!)

Hope this helps!

I don't agree with a few things that have been said so far, I don't need to say which as what I say will more or less point that out.

In joint 1st is sound and feel, everything else comes second. You need to have both (to an extent you are happy with) in an instrument. You wouldn't want an instrument that plays effortlessly but sounds awful, equally so you wouldn't want an instrument that sounds great but plays like crap.

HOWEVER! These two factors are not by any means set in stone when an instrument is manufactured.

With regards feel and playability, I don't believe in an unsetupable instrument. I have yet to find an instrument that cannot be set up to obscenely low action or obscenely high action or anything in between. Amongst other things you may need to get someone to do a fret job to achieve this or you may find that your neck has something other than natural bow from string tension. Other than that last one, the common problems that I'm aware of or have encountered are relatively easy to overcome and will give you effectively a new guitar once set up properly.

Soundwise, I appreciate that woods and type of construction play a role in this, but I definitely feel they are secondary compared to pickups, pickups locations and electronics (and amps, and strings etc etc). How secondary they are I am unsure but I don't think it's a close call. Anyway, a good set of pickups can breathe new life instantly into a guitar. How you wire/configure them, how you eq etc. So in terms of amplified sound, you can get a great sound from a 'cheap' bass with good pickups and electronics and, drawing on the above point, that is well set up.

I'm not saying go out and buy the cheapest bass you can, but don't be fooled into thinking that cheap MUST equal crap and expensive MUST equal good. All in all I guess I'm saying, don't be biased, the two most important factors are not fixed.

Mark