Why become a member? ×

Melbourne calling

Fretless Eric

Hi guys,
I didn't know where to post this but here is as good as any.

Long time, no speak. Having been asked by a fellow forum member on passing a year in Melbourne milestone I thought I might have to post just in case anyone else is interested.

This last year has been so full I haven't really had much chance to contribute much but I do dip in to the forum.

I did my first Aussie gig a couple of weeks back with my new band [url="http://www.myspace.com/longyardband"]http://www.myspace.com/longyardband[/url]

On several occasions I've met one of my long time favourite Melbourne music chaps, Joe Camilleri and still harbour a wish to play with him in some way; I'm not giving up on this one.

Melbourne has plenty more places willing to put bands on than London nowadays and people appreciate music and respect musicians more than the UK, despite most of them being acoustic guitar balladeers.

I must say that the average calibre of the ordinary players is very high due to the amount of talent here, but bass players are a rare commodity which has allowed me to be a little choosy in my band.

Ideally I would like to be in a couple of bands and be doing a few sessions but that may come with a little bit more exposure, I understand that this is quite likely due to the scarcity of bassists.

Any further info wanted just ask.

Any one in Melbourne, please say hello.

Cheers,
Eric.

Edited by Fretless Eric

Hi Eric, welcome back. I'd love to live in Melbourne, I have friends there living in Glen Iris too. Houses prices aren't too different to the UK - at least last time I looked. I couldn't find a bank that would loan enough for me to buy there though, which was a shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks BeLow, you're too kind.

Melbourne is turning out to be a series of "nice finds" as time goes on and I really like living here, the upside down thing does take some getting used to but the weather right now after three days of storms and torrential rain make it just like being in London!

The Christmas break has allowed me time to restring my Yamaha Silent bass for the first time - I'm still building up to this though as I've never restrung an upright.

Happy Christmas to you all, guys.

[quote name='Fretless Eric' post='99371' date='Dec 5 2007, 09:26 AM']On several occasions I've met one of my long time favourite Melbourne music chaps, Joe Camilleri and still harbour a wish to play with him in some way; I'm not giving up on this one.[/quote]

Hello Mate. I recorded a blues album in Joe`s studio in 96. Really nice guy.... Had a crappy Jazz that wasn`t up to much so I asked if I could use his Danelectro longhorn. Took me to a cupboard full of basses and told me to help myself! Kid in a sweetie shop or what?

A drummer mate of mine is looking for a band in Adelaide if you have any connections there he`d appreciate it!

Dave

I absolutely love Melbourne. Got a brother-in-law that lives in Mooroolbark, and the wife's cousin lives in Lilydale.

Oh to up sticks and be granted a residential visa!

I always said that if I got the opportunity to emigrate, it'd be there. We'd probably sell everything to help finance the move, but my bass gear would have to move with me. Gotta earn a buck or two somehow :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='110444' date='Dec 29 2007, 04:13 PM']Welcome (back)

Fancy a gig swap :)[/quote]
Thanks - you're "south coast" is a little cooler than mine I think today, we're sweltering in the 30s today after a high of 42 yesterday! A little too hot for surfing.

Happy New year to all.