Why become a member? ×

How to Value my Basses!!

phil.mcglassup

[quote name='phil.mcglassup' post='895009' date='Jul 14 2010, 07:54 PM']Thanks for all the info everyone.

What sort of P bass is it? Does it have a specific name?[/quote]

Yeah its a PB-551, usually known as [s]"That 80's Japanese one with no scratchplate and a same coloured headstock"[/s] Malcolm
I don't think that was the catalogue name though :)

Burrito was looking to sell one for a mate back in Nov 09 for £400. You could check with him to see what his mate got (sold elsewhere)

Marky-L had one then too.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='bumnote' post='894909' date='Jul 14 2010, 06:09 PM']....anybody venture an opinion of value for a US Lakland Jo Osbourne, 3 tone sunburst, couple of small dings?....[/quote]
If it's a five string, it'll be about £20. I'll have it!

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='895744' date='Jul 15 2010, 04:17 PM']Oh, is that not light for a Precision? Or just not light for a Precision of that model/era?

(Most 4-strings feel light to me anyway. I'm used to the added bulk of a 5er.)[/quote]

Well 8lbs is on the light side for a P bass for sure but The Japanese P basses I have had with basswood bodies (57Ri, 62RI) are usually 7.8lbs. and that 0.2 seems to be rather significant. When you put one one you know it's a "light" bass ..
The Ash/Alder ones are usually 8.4lbs and the 70RI ones with Ash bodies are 8.8lbs.

US made p basses vary a lot and the 70's era ones seem to (generally) be pretty heavy and early 60's ones generally pretty light.
All of this is IME, of course.

[quote name='OldGit' post='895775' date='Jul 15 2010, 04:51 PM']Well 8lbs is on the light side for a P bass for sure but The Japanese P basses I have had with basswood bodies (57Ri, 62RI) are usually 7.8lbs. and that 0.2 seems to be rather significant. When you put one one you know it's a "light" bass ..
The Ash/Alder ones are usually 8.4lbs and the 70RI ones with Ash bodies are 8.8lbs.

US made p basses vary a lot and the 70's era ones seem to (generally) be pretty heavy and early 60's ones generally pretty light.
All of this is IME, of course.[/quote]
Ah, cheers for that. I learn something every day. :)

If I ever feel the need for a P in the future (no urine-based jokes, please :rolleyes: ), I'll definitely bear that in mind.

[quote name='JTUK' post='895425' date='Jul 15 2010, 10:37 AM']£400 tops for the Fender unless it is a very good player, IMO.[/quote]

I'm not experienced enough nor have I tried many basses to determine whether or not the basses I have are good players. There is no fret rattle on either of them but as far as the set up of them is concerned I have no idea what a well set upbass should sound like. I took them out of the box and played them. Neither have been adjusted or modified as I have owned them both from new!

How do I check playability?

It will feel very playable to you...and just be a delight. You don't have to fight the action or the strings.

For example..all my basses are set-up for a light touch and I don't want to be wasting energy trying to get a note...

I can't pick up a lot of basses in a shop as they are too much of a struggle, that I don't need.
The notes needs to slide out as well and just be there. If you have to dig in too hard just to get the note to play..then that is too much hard work, IMV

I guess a lot of this is subjective...but if people play your basses and comment how nice they are to play, then that is on the right lines, IMV.