Why become a member? ×

Biting the Bullet

Heathy

After reading some of the other posts here I have been inspired (after 25 years of playing) to betray my pub rock roots and learn some theory. I am becoming increasing frustrated with my limitations, and although I don't aspire to be a soloing monster, I would like to be able to play my bass as a musical instrument in its own right, rather than solely in a supporting role.

Where do you think is the best place to start?

I am also interested in taking some graded exams. Is it always best to start at grade 1? And which route would you recommend, RGT or Rock school?

Cheers

I've been playing for about the same amount of time and was in a similar position and felt I wanted to stretch myself a bit and also get more out of playing the bass.

I bought an upright a year or so ago and that spurred me to get some lessons primarily to show me how to hold the thing, a few weeks ago I restarted the lessons again with the intention of learning some theory and I have to admit it's been really enjoyable.

I've bought a ton of books Chuck Rainey, Ron Carter, Ray Brown, the Simandl book just arrived (woohoo) which are great but I think having a teacher has been invaluable, it gives you the impetus to practice cos you don't want to look like a fanny and it costs cash. Also it's it's quite inspiring to hear someone who can really play but is sufficiently different from your approach that you are really learning. I suppose it might be different on the electric where I have some skills and I might be a bit more resistant to being taught

It's opened up a whole new range of possibilities and is great fun, as well as making Amazon happy :)

Oh and I've been looking at the Major's Bootcamp Sessions which are great, I mean what a lot of effort to make that fantastic resource available and the numerous transcriptions on basschat.

Edited by steviedee

My advice would be to get a teacher to help you through things - the rudiments of music theory are pretty straightforward but making sense of it all in relation to your bass playing can be trickier. I'd suggest learning to read basic notation in both bass and treble clefs - not being able to read won't prevent you from understanding theory but it will limit your ability to access new information.

Even without a teacher there are plenty of things you can work on. I'd suggest starting with working on your fretboard knowledge (can you quickly find 6 places on the neck to play F#?) as really knowing where the notes are on your instrument is something that a lot of bass players (and guitarists...) lack.

On a separate note, I'm going to add a big +1 to steviedee's mention of the Simandl book. Even though it's a double bass method book I've been using it on electric for the past few years and can't recommend it enough as a means of getting a logical fingering system together and developing solid technique.

I went through Rockschool grades as a teenager and use them with students. They're fine as a means of having a recognisable measure of your level of ability but don't actually [i]mean[/i] that much in real terms - it's possible to get Grade 8 with distinction and still not really understand what you're doing on the instrument.

Tom

[quote name='steviedee' post='894404' date='Jul 14 2010, 08:46 AM']Oh and I've been looking at the Major's Bootcamp Sessions which are great, I mean what a lot of effort to make that fantastic resource available and the numerous transcriptions on basschat.[/quote]
Thanks for mentioning my Bass Boot Camp Sessions, steviedee. I'm so glad you like them.

Just to be clear:
Everything on there is original work - they are not transcriptions. I have tried to taylor all the examples to help make particular points re technique or theory.

And the "Getting Started with Sight Reading" series is focused on one key at a time, and stays within the first 2 positions to help those new to reading to feel comfortable and (hopefully!) relaxed.

The Major

Theory can be a big speed-bump for a lot of people, but its a lot of fun once you find how it fits into your playing. I'd recommend looking into some general study books (I found the 2 volumes of 'AB Guide to Music theory' (there's a pink one and a blue one) very interesting for classical theory, Mark Levine's 'Jazz Theory' is obviously the benchmark for that but I've also got 'Jazzology' which is MUCH cheaper (£10 compared to £35+) and I also found it very much more accessible for the every day musician. there is also a wealth of information on the internet (I liked this site back in the day: [url="http://www.tonalcentre.org/"]http://www.tonalcentre.org/[/url].

I'd recommend immersing yourself casually in some of that stuff and just gradually work it into your practise routines, mess about with ideas it gives you and let yourself hear the information as well as read. Also, if you write basslines, chord progressions, melodies, riffs etc., just figure out what notes you're playing and analyse your own compositions.. figure out on paper why they sound like they do. I've found that this is one of the most interesting and enjoyable musical experiences for me.. I frequently retune my guitars to any arrangement of notes then write parts, chord progressions and melodies on them, simply so I've got no idea what I'm doing and can have the enjoyment of finding out afterwards and learning what processes make up those sounds that I like to hear.

[i]traditional [/i]music theory, in terms of examinations, tends to be just as concerned classical history and knowledge (ie when did Beethoven last wash his socks?).
It seems to be the application of theoretical knowledge you are after? I'd recommend teacher who knows his stuff, and can show you in an easy to understand manner how to use the modes, work with harmonies etc.
Probably a bit more of an expensive option, but some tutors are happy to see students monthly.

As has been mentioned on other threads, music theory is a definition of what we do when we play music - understanding what works and what doesn't is what you're after - which music theory helps to explain, but cannot in itself give you.

Getting a teacher is certainly a good idea, as it allows you ask questions, and (hopefully) things can be explained to you in a way that makes sense.

An understanding of theory, along with its practical application (something you can begin to use to dissect songs you're currently playing) will give you more options and more places on the neck to play, but don't forget that sometimes breaking "the rules" can sound good too :)