Why become a member? ×

monitoring thru an headphone

flychris

Hi.
I think to buy a device in order to practice bass with
headphones at home or elsewhere ?

Do you know that kind of stuff ?

I also prefer to not switch on my amps without a cab behind.

So this must have a very good tone for the bass and could be
use alone.

Thank you

I do most of my practice with headphones. The most important thing is the quality of the headphones. Good over-ear headphones are needed, I use Sennheisers though my daughter's £30 Sony are nearly as good. Any cheap mixer will do the job as a headphone amp and a mixer gives you the possibility of playing along with backing tracks/drum machines. I use a very cheap 4 channel mixer designed for dubbing sound onto Video but have used a DJ mixer.

Even my cheap mixer sounds much cleaner than any stage amp or even DI into the PA. The headphones go deeper than any currently available speaker (20Hz) and are clean all the way down, they also go up to 20,000Hz. The result is that you hear yourself very clearly and every little fault shows up. I think this is just what you want for a practice but it takes a little while to get used to the sound.

I can remember seeing an amp modelling unit which had a built in drum machine and a headphone amp. I think it was a Boss. I didn't buy it because I didn't like the sound of the amp modelling but it would be ideal for headphone practice.

If you want some cracking headphones that can also double up for serious music listening, try the Grado range.

from about £85 to £1,600. :)

I got a pair of the SR125s a few years ago, and they are rather too good at highlighting the faults in my technique and playing. They also act as as part of the quality check on band recording mix-down, being fantastic at rendering detail and having lots of bass extension without boom. Even the [s]cheapest[/s] least expensive are head and shoulders above anything else at the price. It's just the price.... :rolleyes:

What you connect them to is a separate issue, and I wouldn't have a clue where to start on that :lol: .

It says in your signature that you have a Bass Pod XT Pro - doesn't that have a headphone output? If you just want a simple headphone amp with pure sound there is the sfx H1 and EA Earwig, or the Vox Amplug if you want a more amp-like sound, or the Tascam Bass Trainer if you want to play along to tracks and slow them down or loop them.

Yes, I've got this basspod xt pro but it's part of the well packeg gig
I used to move to gigs or rehearsals etc. So I ve one amp always
Pluged at home but nothing silent for my family

And I want to avoid to unpack the other system then pack to move...

Reason why i'looking for something silent at home and when I'm in
Business trip.

What about an avalon U5 ?

How about the Korg Pandora range? A secondhand PX4B or even a PX3B would do the job nicely I'd think. I use my PX4B with a pair of [url="http://www.alessandro-products.com/main.php?p=headphones"](modified) Grados[/url] (bought when the £/$ rate was good - less than £50 delivered to my door :)

So in fact , i will not take a bass and stuff when traveling by plane
Always a hassle to take a bass
But when i move by train or car it's not a problem and running onto
Batteries is not necessary
I wil always have a plug in hotels etc .,.

So i see
Phil jones bass buddy
Ebs microbass
Avalon U5

But prefer the avalon cause I could use it with other stuff

Ho, I found the ART headtap that you can put instead a cab or in parallel with it in order to have a load
on the amp.
So I could use my amp at home with this little thing !
and it's passive, so no more need of a power

Have you tried it before ?