Why become a member? ×

How do you get in the groove ?

redstriper

Sometimes when I play, (at a gig, practise or recording session) I find myself in 'the zone' where everything I play sounds and feels great - I'm at one with my bass and so into the music, it feels marvelous.
If the other musicians are also into it, then magic can occur and it's the best feeling this side of sex - and if the crowd picks up on it at a gig, then it can be very special indeed.

Other times, I feel the opposite - nothing works, the bass feels wrong and I just can't get into the groove.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon and how you deal with it - is there an easy way to get into the groove, or do you just wait for the groove to get into you?

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='892234' date='Jul 11 2010, 08:28 PM']I think it's all about being relaxed and confident.[/quote]

At home - it's settling down without any distractions - - - - - & a lovely glass of single malt :)

for me its when i've put all the practice in and then show up for the gig and everything just runs so smoothly it feels like i can't put a note wrong...

also i find i know when i'm "in the groove" as we call it when i dont have to think about it and i can just look up relax and smile and bob away to the music...

just my perception though... :)

Make sure they are the right drugs mind..........

Really though, its down to mood, desire to play and being relaxed. I find sometimes if I'm practised up to the hilt, it all goes wrong on the night, whereas if I haven't played for a bit it can all be fluid as if its a relief to be playing again................. of course, this also works the other way around on occasion!!! :)

Those nights where its right is what makes you keep going back :rolleyes:

It's a fine line between everything feeling and sounding great and the opposite sensation.
I wish I could find a simple way to get in the groove every time, but it's beyond rationality - it's either there or it isn't and I don't even know what 'it' is............