Why become a member? ×

Hi from West Yorkshire

tonybassplayer

Hi, stumbled on the site yesterday and so far very impressed so thought I would register and get chatting to my fellow bass players.

I play in a soul/funk band called soul7 ( www.soul7.co.uk ) but have previously done classic rock and sixties. We are out gigging between two and four times a month but I want more so I am on the lookout to join/form another band to do another two to four gigs a month.

I play a Yamaha TRB which just seems such a good all rounder that I have never really needed to upgrade although I also have a Yamaha 5 string which sits at gigs just waiting for a flat battery/string break on the TRB but has yet to be played live.

I play through a Behringer rig which after an initial hiccup has served me very well and considering the price was a cracking bargain but i must admit that my next move will be to something much lighter ( the back just ain't what it was !! )

I am 48 years old and like many others I came back to playing about 10 years ago after a 20 year break !! I get really annoyed if I think how good i could be now if I had kept playing after leaving school but sport took over my life. The upside of this is that I am so excited about playing and gigging as it still seems new to me and each gig is a big adventure.

Probably boring you now but looking forward to chatting more and perhaps meeting some local players. Let me know when and where you are gigging and I will try to come along.

Tony

Hi Tony

Whereabouts in West Yorkshire?? - there are a few of us on here, Dr Dave from Wakefield and Rhino from Menston that I know of amongst others. I was from Rothwell but moved to Leicestershire in 1994 and like you have recently returned to bass after an absence of far too long.

Welcome to forum - enjoy the banter, it is a great group of people, lots of differing opinions (but no real fall outs), and always someone on here to help with whatever you need.

Steve

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='98621' date='Dec 4 2007, 09:28 AM']Hi, stumbled on the site yesterday and so far very impressed so thought I would register and get chatting to my fellow bass players.

I play in a soul/funk band called soul7 ( www.soul7.co.uk ) but have previously done classic rock and sixties. We are out gigging between two and four times a month but I want more so I am on the lookout to join/form another band to do another two to four gigs a month.

I play a Yamaha TRB which just seems such a good all rounder that I have never really needed to upgrade although I also have a Yamaha 5 string which sits at gigs just waiting for a flat battery/string break on the TRB but has yet to be played live.

I play through a Behringer rig which after an initial hiccup has served me very well and considering the price was a cracking bargain but i must admit that my next move will be to something much lighter ( the back just ain't what it was !! )

I am 48 years old and like many others I came back to playing about 10 years ago after a 20 year break !! I get really annoyed if I think how good i could be now if I had kept playing after leaving school but sport took over my life. The upside of this is that I am so excited about playing and gigging as it still seems new to me and each gig is a big adventure.

Probably boring you now but looking forward to chatting more and perhaps meeting some local players. Let me know when and where you are gigging and I will try to come along.

Tony[/quote]

Hi Tony,
Another tyke joins the madding crowd ! Perhaps we should form a "splinter group " - we could play " I Put A Spell On You"

Enough .

Rhino.

Hi all and thanks for the nice welcome.

Gazm, I live about 15 miles from Wakefield but there is a pub in the city called the Snooty fox which has bands on six nights a week ( might even be seven )

A few years ago I went to a jam night on a Thursday at a pub called the Clothiers which I believe is just down the road from the hotel. Not sure if it still does them though. Thursday night has live music at a pub called The Forresters Arms. Hope this helps.

Skywalker, a little village called Scholes near Cleckheaton ( a slightly larger town !! ) nr J26 on the M62

Great site with lots of info and help

Tony

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='99252' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:25 PM']Skywalker, a little village called Scholes near Cleckheaton ( a slightly larger town !! ) nr J26 on the M62

Tony[/quote]

First time I've seen someone here from Cleckheckmondsage.

I have family not far away - next time I'm up I'll let you know - it will be beer time.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='100782' date='Dec 7 2007, 11:34 AM']Hi Skywalker, Yes let me know next time you are up this way and we can meet for a drink and maybe take in a band.

Are you playing in a band at the moment ??

Tony[/quote]

Hi Tony

Just doing an odd dep for a jazz trio at a hotel in Nottingham (we moved down here in 1994), and an odd jam night which is good fun (not my genre of music, but variety is the spice of life I suppose), so instead of standards and bossas I try Hey Joe, Sunshine of your Love etc. Steep learning curve but enjoyable.

Steve

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='99252' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:25 PM']Skywalker, a little village called Scholes near Cleckheaton ( a slightly larger town !! ) nr J26 on the M62[/quote]
I work in Shipley so I pass Clecker's almost everyday when coming from Wakey on the M62.

That new bit of road works connecting the M606 and the M62 is really helping the already congested area, isn't it... :)

Anyway, welcome again

I tend to look at lots of band websites for ideas that I can use on ours and their website is one that I have come across quite a bit.

Besides playing bass in my current band I have recently starting playing drums as I would like to gig more and thought it would be good to play with another band on a different instrument. I thought that I would get myself a few lessons rather than waste years playing badly and the guy I contacted turned out to be the drummer in Duvet !!

Nice co-incidence, I am going to start the lessons in January but having great fun playing the drums ( I have an electronic kit set up in the spare room at home with all other gear ) so if you fancy a bit of a jam session over xmas just bring along your bass ( or use mine !! )

Are you playing in a band at the moment ??

Tony

I'm a dep [b][url="http://www.thedrifters.co.uk/"]in a Drifters group[/url][/b] and also play with [b][url="http://www.myspace.com/evenhandproject"]this originals group[/url][/b]. I also record a lot with Pash and his php5.5 listed on the even-hand site. The Drifters is really fun because the guys in the band are great chaps. The even-hand project is my cerebral gig. It's really challenging because it's not the sort of thing I naturally lean towards. But, the music is so cool and the other guys are really cool and talented. I really wish I could dedicate more time to it but my marriage is ending, my job is manic and seeing my kids all take up most of my time. Look for us next year, we'll be ready to gig then.

Good luck with the drum lessons...it's a great thing for bassists to learn. I'd really enjoy stopping round for a bit of playing. Might not be until Jan though.

Cheers,

• 1 year later...

[quote name='tonybassplayer' post='104518' date='Dec 14 2007, 09:36 PM']Hi Argh, are you the bass player in Export that comments on the the Rock of the North website ??

I saw the comment about the 9 string bass sometime last week and assumed it must be the same person.

Tony[/quote]
Who else?...I very very rarely comment on rotn...