Why become a member? ×

musciman stingray NR

munkonthehill

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='951666' date='Sep 10 2010, 11:35 AM']I've had the Big Al 5 SSS now for 2 months and I can guarantee you all I've not had a dull day so far with that monster. The things that bass can do sonically are beyond belief. Vintage passive tones to give you goosebumps and powerful active driving tones to boot, I think this is a bass which you will find hard to put down, Ed Friedland review is great but it's only limited to his playing style: it's not all snap, crackle and pop, rest assured, this can be as deep as you want it to be, or as bluesy / jazzy / punk / new age / grunge / as you need. All in one single bass.

Also do not understimate the "funny looks" because regardless of the fact that it looks pointy and "Jetson's" like, the ergonomic has been designed in a very crafty way you see? The body it's actually quite small and comfortable, it sits tightly in your graps allowing your arm to reach the neck up and down with extreme ease, which I think once you play it, you will recognize that as a great advantage and that alone is a great selling point for this clever bass.

Enough said.[/quote]

Great report GW. Im pretty certain im going to order one for my 30th and literally 'forget about' the possible delivery date so I dont mess about and cancel it. I know for a fact it will be fantastic, and something totally different to what I own (which is what I am after).

Ok chaps a wee update on my bongo. Well I had full rehearsal today. The Bongo is actually a bit more middy than I had first thought whilst using at lower levels.

Again though, this active circuit is extremely powerful, you only need to dial in very little at a time to get a tone you need. Having the 4 band EQ is a wee bit overwhelming too and as we all know, too many options may confuse or just basically be too complicated.

So how did it go I hear you ask my brothers.

:) :rolleyes: :lol: :o<--------------- it went this well.

This thing is a freakin monster. Not only does it have a lovely tone with everything set at centre on its eq, the playing on this thing is soo sweet. It has a lovely balanced body and neck, its not too heavy and hangs on me very well whilst I dance about like a prat.

So mucking about with the EQ was a bit of a trial and error with me, at some points I had the laney 300watt amp i was using farting with far too much bass, at other times I had a real 'Stingray' sound with very punchy mids that seem to take over the overall sound.

cutting the hi mids and treble and with the bass and low mids boosted gave the desired effect I was after and if I wanted to alter the tone I was using, I just used the pup pan to try thin it out.

In saying that, it was tone overload and I couldnt stop playing about and trying out everything it had to offer.

End result is that this bass works. It plays right, it sounds right, it feels right.

Does this take the mantle of my 'go to bass' well not yet. However I dont want another bass except the ones I have........................

I AM CONTENT trust me brothers , its an amazing feeling.

Edited by munkonthehill

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='961675' date='Sep 19 2010, 10:47 PM']I already sense you are going to change. Sorry I just think you will.

You may find that you are more suited to an active P bass sound with the way you are EQing the bongo.[/quote]

Nah, I think im settling. The bongo and jag are already better basses than I am a player. Think its time to stop pissing about and try and become a better player rather than hoping buying a better bass will do that job for me. lets face it, If I cant get the tone im looking for out of these two tone monsters, then that tone doesnt exist!!

I understand what you are saying, but the opposite in term of the Jag, don't get me wrong it's an amazing bass.

But my body and mind are rejecting it, with some kind of snobbery, I hate te fact that I don't like to play a little bit more every day.

However back on topic; I do hope you keep as bongos are nice basses (not for me, looks wise, and the tone is a little sterile for my tastes) but I guess thats why the big al appeals to me.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='951532' date='Sep 10 2010, 09:47 AM']I think despite the fact its a very 'marmite' look, the Bongo (and the Big Al) will always be around due to the fact they are incredibly powerful basses. I personally like the style of both of them, but im leaning towards the Big Al again as I want 3 single coils.[/quote]

Buy mine (the offer still stands), I am selling them all, and convert them all in Dingwall basses eventually, I am hooked

[quote name='danny-79' post='961737' date='Sep 19 2010, 11:54 PM']Have you put a review up yet on your Dingwall ? i had a look at them on the link i got an they look great[/quote]

I think I did a short review, what'd u like to know about them? (without me hijacking this thread) have a look here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99006"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99006[/url]

p.s.: you've read it and even replied to it :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='961757' date='Sep 20 2010, 12:32 AM']I think I did a short review, what'd u like to know about them? (without me hijacking this thread) have a look here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99006"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=99006[/url]

p.s.: you've read it and even replied to it :rolleyes:[/quote]

:lol: :brow: heheh yeah i did, oops me bad, but in my defense Ive been to sleep since then lol :)

(ill go read again an post in that thread)

• 2 weeks later...

ok chaps, I have finally found a fault with the bongo.

whilst sitting on my couch noodling away, I decided to plugin my line6 toneport. Turns out i hate basses that plug in at the bottom. the jag and aerodyne plug into the jack at the control plate and now I have to bloody angle myself whilst playing.

Its fine sitting on a chair and things along those lines, however plugged in whilst slouching on a couch aint too niffty.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='975576' date='Oct 3 2010, 12:11 AM']ok chaps, I have finally found a fault with the bongo.

whilst sitting on my couch noodling away, I decided to plugin my line6 toneport. Turns out i hate basses that plug in at the bottom. the jag and aerodyne plug into the jack at the control plate and now I have to bloody angle myself whilst playing.

Its fine sitting on a chair and things along those lines, however plugged in whilst slouching on a couch aint too niffty.[/quote]

You only just noticed, and...
Does this mean it's up for swaps?

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='975598' date='Oct 3 2010, 12:31 AM']You only just noticed, and...
Does this mean it's up for swaps?[/quote]

I usually stand whilst plugged in or when I use my rig in the back room i sit on the PC chair, so this is the first time its really came up.

And no its not up for swaps,,,,,I dont hate it that much hahahaha