Why become a member? ×

Steinberger truss rods

Dom in Dorset

While window shopping on ebay I found this:
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-XL2-Bass-/130404248617?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1e5cb2ec29"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberger-XL2-Bass...=item1e5cb2ec29[/url]

The seller says that the neck has a bit too much relief , but has no truss rod. I had Hohner copy for many years and this had a truss rod at the top of the neck, however the Hohner was made from wood. Is it true that Graphite Steinbergers don't have a truss rod?

The tensile strength of the graphite does away with the need for a truss rod.

I've had a look at that Steiny and I don't tink ther's much wrong with it. I've never heard of a Steiny with up-bow on the neck, never. That's not to say it could happen.

All graphite necks should be manufactured with truss rods unless the manufacturing is perfect and the necks come with a life time guarantee against warping. Graphite necks warp - I know because I've owned 3 early 80s Cutlass basses and a 95 Modulus Quantum all with necks like bananas.

Steinberger necks are designed differently to Status/modulus necks being solid resin based rather than hollow laminated monocoque. Later necks did feature truss rods. I've got 10 of 'em sitting at home here with truss rods in.

The one for sale is salvagable but it will require a complete defretting and the fingerboard will require reprofiling, refretting and dressing.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='885326' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:21 AM']All graphite necks should be manufactured with truss rods unless the manufacturing is perfect and the necks come with a life time guarantee against warping. Graphite necks warp - I know because I've owned 3 early 80s Cutlass basses and a 95 Modulus Quantum all with necks like bananas.[/quote]

I was surprised to discover that Statii have truss-rods, especially as my Vigier does not (it's an s3- so a 10/90 neck)
I assume that rod-less necks are either relief-less or have the relief machined/sanded in before the fretboard goes on. I've never seen or heard of a wonky Vigier neck be it s1, s2, s3 or s4. Perhaps Patrice Vigier knows something we don't!

I have a Status S2000 which has no trus rod. When I first took delivery of it there were a set of 30s on it. They were buzzing quite a bit so I put on a set of 35s and no buzz. The heavier strings just pulled the neck a little bit more. Point is that this problem just doesn't happen any more with Statii as they have rods. You have that bit of adjustment. As Crazykiwi said it depends on the manufacturing process. Status necks these days have a more flexible structure which allows for a trus rod.