Why become a member? ×

Pickup Advice need for a self build - slightly left field

xilddx

I'm putting a Chris Squire Electra Outlaw style self build together and I need advice on its [b]passive [/b]pups and electronics.

CS's Electra has a P-style pup in the usual position and what looks like a Gibson EB/Mudbucker right by the end of the neck join.

I've heard the Electras were muddy sounding so ..

I'm looking for a P pup with a medium output with an open, deep and rich sound with a bit of high end sizzle, hopefully with good reproduction of the harmonic overtones.

Also need something that looks like a mudbucker but isn't at all muddy. It will go right by the neck join and I am after a big rich dubby tone, again with with good harmonic overtones.

Any ideas? I'm a bit clueless, especially with the neck options.

Possible wiring will be vol and tone with series parallel switch on each pickup.

Images of the Electra are here [url="http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/other-replicas/chris-squire-and-electra-outlaw/"]http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/othe...electra-outlaw/[/url]

Cheers!

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' post='885036' date='Jul 3 2010, 08:22 PM']I'm putting a Chris Squire Electra Outlaw style self build together and I need advice on its [b]passive [/b]pups and electronics.

CS's Electra has a P-style pup in the usual position and what looks like a Gibson EB/Mudbucker right by the end of the neck join.

I've heard the Electras were muddy sounding so ..

I'm looking for a P pup with a medium output with an open, deep and rich sound with a bit of high end sizzle, hopefully with good reproduction of the harmonic overtones.

Also need something that looks like a mudbucker but isn't at all muddy. It will go right by the neck join and I am after a big rich dubby tone, again with with good harmonic overtones.

Any ideas? I'm a bit clueless, especially with the neck options.

Possible wiring will be vol and tone with series parallel switch on each pickup.

Images of the Electra are here [url="http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/other-replicas/chris-squire-and-electra-outlaw/"]http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/othe...electra-outlaw/[/url]
howzabout a EMG-SS, or the later EMG-HB you should be able to pick up a used SS easily enough....possibly not shiny enough though :)

Cheers![/quote]

[quote name='silddx' post='885345' date='Jul 4 2010, 11:37 AM']Good shout!

I'd never heard of this one, looks about perfect, thanks![/quote]

They're great!
It's been a while since I heard the one in my Aria as all the electrics are shot.
But I remember it being pretty beefy, but clear.

[quote name='bartelby' post='885410' date='Jul 4 2010, 12:41 PM']They're great!
It's been a while since I heard the one in my Aria as all the electrics are shot.
But I remember it being pretty beefy, but clear.[/quote]
Sounds ideal, thanks.

tino, great idea about the EMGs too, I really think I want to remain passive and I always think of EMGs as active so I hadn't thought of them at al.

Cheers guys.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' post='885912' date='Jul 4 2010, 10:44 PM']give Andy a shout at wizard pick ups,he,ll sort you out[/quote]
Thanks mate, I had been thinking of a Wizard for the P pup.

What do you mean about "sorting me out"? Does he do custom stuff?

Cheers,
N

Edited by silddx