Why become a member? ×

Fingerboard PUP for Aria EUB

Beedster

Hi all
Any ideas on the best model to compliment the piezo at the bridge? Is the Schaller 411 (http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_kontrabasspickup.htm) any good?
Anyone got one they want to move on?
Thanks
Chris

Edited by Beedster

I've tried the Schaller (very crap, rattles acoustically but a bit retro looking) and custom Kent Armstong magnetics, and to be honest I wouldn't bother with one. At best they sound like giant Pbasses, but without much of the interesting mid range. The only use I could see is in extremeley loud situations, on an acoustic bass, where anything to do with the bridge or body would feedback.

I've got the Kent Armstrong here somewhere - desigend to fit a "generic" modern fingerboard, so may (not) be a good fit on your bass - let me know and I'll try and find it.

But I think you'll get better results adding another different piezo pickup for an alternative sound.

I don't even use the mag on my Aria any more Chris, it buzzed and also had a much lower output that the piezo, so wasn't much help anyway.

I've just put Innovation Silver Slap strings on mine as well, and it has totally transformed it for the better, both in terms of tone and playability.

Gareth

[quote name='BassBod' post='883206' date='Jul 1 2010, 05:18 PM']I've tried the Schaller (very crap, rattles acoustically but a bit retro looking) and custom Kent Armstong magnetics, and to be honest I wouldn't bother with one. At best they sound like giant Pbasses, but without much of the interesting mid range. The only use I could see is in extremeley loud situations, on an acoustic bass, where anything to do with the bridge or body would feedback.

I've got the Kent Armstrong here somewhere - desigend to fit a "generic" modern fingerboard, so may (not) be a good fit on your bass - let me know and I'll try and find it.

But I think you'll get better results adding another different piezo pickup for an alternative sound.[/quote]

Lovely, thanks Duncan. I'm a newbie to all this and understood that fingerboard PUPs added a bit of uprightyness to an EUB, although it would make more sense that it would simply sound more like a bass guitar given that it's a magnetic PUP? I guess it would be really useful to have a PUP I could try on the EUB to give some tonal options, but which I could also use on my (newly acquired) upright. Any suggestions?

I'm also thinking of installing a P-Retro in the EUB, which could be interesting (I need to speak to John East first regarding whether it'll work with a piezo signal).

Chris

[quote name='walbassist' post='883214' date='Jul 1 2010, 05:23 PM']I don't even use the mag on my Aria any more Chris, it buzzed and also had a much lower output that the piezo, so wasn't much help anyway.

I've just put Innovation Silver Slap strings on mine as well, and it has totally transformed it for the better, both in terms of tone and playability.

Gareth[/quote]

LOL, the plot thins, to misquote the old saying! That's also a great help Gareth, thanks. I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the reason Aria added the neck PUP was to get a more 'real' upright tone. Was I dreaming?

BTW, I'm putting the new strings on my upright tonight Gareth (apologies for not replying sooner, it's been along week), I'll keep you posted

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='883219' date='Jul 1 2010, 05:28 PM']I'm sure I read somewhere on here that the reason Aria added the neck PUP was to get a more 'real' upright tone. Was I dreaming?

BTW, I'm putting the new strings on my upright tonight Gareth (apologies for not replying sooner, it's been along week), I'll keep you posted[/quote]

Well, I think the bass sounds way better just using the piezo, but hey, what do I know?

Glad the strings got to you safe and sound.

[quote name='walbassist' post='883222' date='Jul 1 2010, 05:30 PM']Well, I think the bass sounds way better just using the piezo, but hey, what do I know?[/quote]

No, I'm sure you're right. I'm really quite happy with the sound - especially through my Mesa 1516 cab (which is ironically about the same size as a double bass), it would just have been interesting to see if a neck PUP improved it.

Cheers

Chris

The Realist/David Gage piezo is the one I'd suggest, provided it can sit under a bridge foot (bass side usually). I don't know the Aria design, but check it out?

I also wouldn't advise on board eq for upright - put your funds into good pickups and "flat" buffer/mixer circuits to get them working well. John East knows all about this....