Why become a member? ×

2nd Bass - £400. Any Ideas? Rave Safe Kids.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Looking to buy my second bass (well, technically 3rd).

Looking to spend up to and around £400. Currently play a Tanglewood Rebel 4K, bought as part of a starter pack. Is OK i suppose, not mad on the body shape (it's a bit small for my toned physique) and there's a lot of fret buzz (mostly due to my retarded playing).

Main priority is that its enjoyable/easy to play. Prefer slim knecks (on basses and women). 4 Strings, not 5. Like a kinda dull thud, as opposed to anything bright. Maybe a bit of a vintage sound.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcome. Would consider used, but quite frankly I'd find it easier to go and buy new.

Anyway, thanks in advance

Yours Sincerley

Regards

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

[url="http://craftedinjapan.co.uk/photo_995846.html"]http://craftedinjapan.co.uk/photo_995846.html[/url]

If i had £410 that's where it would be going, can,t go far wrong for that sort of money, seen them go for more S/H

[quote name='steve-norris' post='97423' date='Dec 1 2007, 09:50 PM'][url="http://craftedinjapan.co.uk/photo_995846.html"]http://craftedinjapan.co.uk/photo_995846.html[/url]

If i had £410 that's where it would be going, can,t go far wrong for that sort of money, seen them go for more S/H[/quote]
They could do with the cash - they've ceased trading!

dull thud could possibly be a Crafted in Japan P (direct from from Ishibashi.co.jp in Japan) strung with flats, or take a look at the squier vintage series, there's a review for one of them knocking around here, and my jazz is lovely

Hving just bought one this weekend, I can recommen a Gibson Victory Standard or Customer. Great basses, very well made and great tone... Mine cost me £415, but there's one on Ebay US thats going for less than £200.

Very thin neck, very fast. The only downside with them could be their weight - its fine for me, but the guy who sold it to me was struggling after an operation or something.

Having neverplayed one, just seen them around, I can heartily recommend these basses. If I had any cash or wasn't buying new cabs I'd probably buy this one :

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260187317672&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=tab%3DWatching[/url]

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Ideally nothing on ebay. I like to walk into a shop, give a guy cash and walk out with something there and then.

I'm strange like that.

Walking out there and then is probably costing you 30% more. Plus you're missing out on stuff like this, which you could probably get (inc paying all taxes) for under £350.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-SB2-BASS-Guitar-Metallic-Black-Color-w-RW-FB_W0QQitemZ140164394885QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G-L-SB2-BASS-Guitar-...VQQcmdZViewItem[/url]

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Still, I'd rather pay 30% more. Can't be doing with ebay. In fact, I have a general distrust/dislike for bargains! Likewise, would never import anything. Can't be doing with exchange rates.

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='97775' date='Dec 2 2007, 08:42 PM']Still, I'd rather pay 30% more. Can't be doing with ebay. In fact, I have a general distrust/dislike for bargains! Likewise, would never import anything. Can't be doing with exchange rates.[/quote]
Haha. Don't be scared of foreign lands (outside of Kent). Although I wouldn't recommend paying £1 to go to Essex on the bridge. It's overpriced.

[quote name='simon1964' post='97800' date='Dec 2 2007, 09:27 PM']For that budget, and if you like slim necks, I would try the Ibanez SR500. Very versatile, good EQ, and Bartolini pickups. Fantastic spec for the money.[/quote]

might be a bit small for the toned physique though

Guest TheBigBeefChief

I'll check it out. Looks ok from the pics. Body doesn't look to small either. The issue I have with small bodies is that my body is of Herculean proportions, so I tend to look stupid with anything small.

And as for leaving Kent, I can't - it gives me nosebleeds.

Ok, so we've established you live in Kent, you've not got a passport to get past Dartford and you're frightened of dealing with foreign lands.

In that case, get the horse and cart and make your way down the A299 towards Herne Bay. Apparently there's a shop called Mac's Music there that stocks G&Ls. 01227 363738. Ask to try a Tribute L2000 if he's got one.

Get an ice-cream and sit on the beach at Tankerton if he hasn't. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Not sure. Herne Bay is pretty pikey. Don't know if I fancy it.

Jokes aside, the reason I like to avoid buying online is that I like to try before buying. I appreciate that I could try in store and then order online but I'm to impulsive. If I play something and like it, I want it there and then, and to me, waiting a couple of weeks but saving £50/100 just isn't worth it. Crazing I know.

Also, I like shops. Wouldn't want less web-savvy retailers to close down!

[quote name='TheBigBeefChief' post='97841' date='Dec 2 2007, 10:46 PM']Not sure. Herne Bay is pretty pikey. Don't know if I fancy it.

Jokes aside, the reason I like to avoid buying online is that I like to try before buying. I appreciate that I could try in store and then order online but I'm to impulsive. If I play something and like it, I want it there and then, and to me, waiting a couple of weeks but saving £50/100 just isn't worth it. Crazing I know.

Also, I like shops. Wouldn't want less web-savvy retailers to close down![/quote]

Good on ya! There are some good music shops around and they need support because otherwise they'll all end up dead within the next 10 years, if things carry on the way they are, - that is unless they open up or already have very cheap online stores.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Sounds a bit too versatile for my liking. I just like a dull thud. On my current bass, I'm yet to touch the tone knob.

All I want is 1 sound. Hopefully I'll grow to like it.

you can get a nice bass for £400! fender? or not fender? if you want fender, jazz bass neck is thinnier, but p-bass has a 'thumpier' tone... and only has 2 knobs rather than 3... jazz doesn't stand up straight cause it's got a wonky butt but that probably shouldn't be a deciding factor. good luck - post pics when you get whatever you get. wollop.

Guest TheBigBeefChief

Probably gonna go for a Jazz. I like the way they play over a P, and can get a sound I like out of them. Just seems a bit common for my liking. Don't know why this should be a problem though, it just grates with me slightly. I do like the sound of a P, just don't enjoy the wider neck.

Just missed out on a MIJ Jazz from another Basschatter. Unfortunately its now up on Ebay, and I can't be doing with that.