Why become a member? ×

DIY Lightweight 2x10" Neodymium speaker loaded cab

:) [size=3]Hello Alex and everyone,

I'm considering making my own lightweight Neodymium speaker loaded 2x10" cab (maybe plus a tweeter) mainly for practicing, as I'm sick of carrying a TE 4x10" upstairs!

Really like the design of the Epifani UL-210, Accugroove Tri 210L and Eurphonic Audio NL-210 (covered on the talkbass 'Neodymium “Light-weight” Speaker Cabinet Review’)

I've got a friend who's a carpenter who owes me a favour-so he'll make the cab (this once) -just got to give him a design? I've been looking for designs does anyone know of any out there?

I have seen Greenboy's fEarful cab designs on talkbass and bill fitzmaurice's designs, but there doesn't seem to be a 2x10" design- I guess there is a technical reason for that?

Not fussy about speakers, whichever suits the design, I guess ideally Celestion or Eminence Neodymium?

I've read a suitably designed and tuned 12mm ported ply cab with lots of internal bracing is the way forward-he can get the wood trade price (but which kind of ply?)

Any ideas, thought or general feedback would be great.

This is just a one off (I'm useless with wood, and favours only go so far!)

I'll be sure to post all the design and build pictures on basschat

Cheers Neil[/size]

[quote name='orangepeelneil' post='881740' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:18 AM']:) [size=3]

I have seen bill fitzmaurice's designs, but there doesn't seem to be a 2x10" design- I guess there is a technical reason for that?

Cheers Neil[/size][/quote]

How about t Bills 210 Jack [url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html"] Here[/url] (its about halfway down the page).
I've built a pair of Omni 10.5's and if I can do it, anyone can! [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=28447"]Build Diary[/url]

I have to second the Jack 210 suggestion. Unless you want to spend quite a while learning about how to design a cab or fancy gambling on the 'cross your fingers and hope' method then I think your time and energy is best spent using some well thought out plans by someone that knows what they're doing! Plus if you buy those plans then your carpenter is likely to nail it (no pun intended) right first time with little or no input from anyone techy. I'd expect a Jack 210 with DeltaLite II 2510s to outperform all three cabs you've referenced, though you'll probably have to rethink your EQing before you find your preferred tone.

[quote name='orangepeelneil' post='881740' date='Jun 30 2010, 11:18 AM']I have seen Greenboy's fEarful cab designs on talkbass and bill fitzmaurice's designs, but there doesn't seem to be a 2x10" design- I guess there is a technical reason for that?[/quote]

15s and 12s are better, basically, in practice, the best of the 12s and 15s are better than the best of the 10s.