Why become a member? ×

Squier 5-string Precision

Yeatus Fajitus

Has anyone tried the Squier 5 string precision - would it cut the mustard for regular gigging? Is there a better passive alternative for a similar cheaper price?

I have a 4 string Fender P-bass and love the sound but I could do with that extra string to make up for the singers vocal range but I'm spending out big wedge (to me it is anyway) to get my rig sorted so I won't have much left in the kitty for a Fender 5 string Precision (chance would be a fine thing). Sometimes I've heard Squiers and they don't sound too dissimilar - is it worth me looking into getting one or should I just pocket the money?

In my limited experience with 5 string squier P basses, they dont sound the same as the 4.
They two or three I´ve picked up and noodled with had jazz bass pups and were preicison in neck profile only.
I remember a dark green Squier Standard 5 String Precision. It sounded good, but much brighter than a P bass IMO.
It would be worth trying one out if you can, to see if it feels and sounds right.
There´s no obligation to buy and if it´s not right, you can keep looking for summit´else.

For the money, Squier are fantastic basses and the newer stuff is the best quality I´ve seen in ages.
I cant wait to try a VM Jag bass!!!

For little money passive 5 srtings, try a Dean or an Aria, they do some great budget stuff too and they won´t cost the world.
Basically, if you really need one, look into them, if you don´t, you´ll learn something from just looking anyway.
Don´t buy just for the hell of it though, like so many do :)

Col

Thanks for the pointers Col! Looking at your kit list it seems like you should have the experience to comment - that's quite a list!

The one I'm looking at has the Agathis body.

Model Name P Bass® Special V (5-String)
Model Number 032-1505

I think the 5 string is now a discontinued model and I haven't been able to find a UK shop with one in stock online (but then internet search engines aren't what they used to be!). I have however found some in stock elswhere. I've just missed out on the oppurtunity to try and buy 2 from different sources locally 2nd hand for a good price both sold before I heard of them.

I had one of these as my first "real" 5 string. It almost put me off 5 string for life. I found the neck to be too wide and i didnt get a P tone (obviously).

I only played it at home but just couldnt get on with it. Its the only 5 string bass ive had trouble playing.

I would go with Col's idea and have a look around at something nicer, or at least try the Squier alongside other basses.

IMO of course.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='880688' date='Jun 29 2010, 09:59 AM']I had one of these as my first "real" 5 string. It almost put me off 5 string for life. I found the neck to be too wide and i didnt get a P tone (obviously).

I only played it at home but just couldnt get on with it. Its the only 5 string bass ive had trouble playing.

I would go with Col's idea and have a look around at something nicer, or at least try the Squier alongside other basses.

IMO of course.[/quote]

That probably explains why they no longer sell it then, okay thanks guys

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='880688' date='Jun 29 2010, 09:59 AM']I had one of these as my first "real" 5 string. It almost put me off 5 string for life. I found the neck to be too wide and i didnt get a P tone (obviously).

IMO of course.[/quote]

That probably explains why they no longer sell it then, okay thanks guys

May I suggest the Yamaha BB415 - PJ configuration rather than JJ, but sounds fat as hell and is really well put together for a cheap instrument. I had a Fender P5 but found the neck too chunky up by the nut, so got this instead and it feels just right. Only £269 new too: [url="http://www.rattleanddrum.com/product/3110/yamaha-bb415-bass-black-pearl-5-string"]http://www.rattleanddrum.com/product/3110/...-pearl-5-string[/url]

I like Yamaha - they make good kit for the money.

I like the look of the RBX 5A2 as well but the money starts going up then and I think I could then get one of the new Epi T-birds with the neck thru contstruction - I guess I'll have to try some.

I may not be in quite such a rush yet anyway as our singer didn't turn up for rehearsal tonight and it has caused a bit of upset (especially with me because I was about to order my barefaced cab tonight). :)

I had a dark green metallic finish Squier P5 some years ago.Sold on this very forum if I remember rightly.My thoughts on it:very very wide neck,but comfortable,not too heavy,a sound of it's own but nothing like the classic Precision.My main gripe was with the original pickups which turned out to be normal J-type 4 pole jobbies which were absolutely useless for a 5-string.I found the low B to be lower in volume than the other 4.I replaced them with Seymour Duncan bar type pups and that helped,but by this time I was fed up with it and sold it on.In my opinion,not a great bass to start a 5-string career with,mainly due to the neck and inferior pups.

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='881335' date='Jun 29 2010, 08:46 PM']May I suggest the Yamaha BB415 - PJ configuration rather than JJ, but sounds fat as hell and is really well put together for a cheap instrument. I had a Fender P5 but found the neck too chunky up by the nut, so got this instead and it feels just right. Only £269 new too: [url="http://www.rattleanddrum.com/product/3110/yamaha-bb415-bass-black-pearl-5-string"]http://www.rattleanddrum.com/product/3110/...-pearl-5-string[/url]

[/quote]

I so wish they did a fretless version of this. I'd be all over it in 5 minutes :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='882226' date='Jun 30 2010, 05:56 PM']Get one and defret it then![/quote]

hehe :) As we speak I'm enquiring about shipping etc.

Mind you, shipping and luthier together might make it a bit too much, but that's a great price you found there.